1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost EVERYTHING!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by soarngeagle, Sep 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. soarngeagle

soarngeagle Thread Starter

okay, this is how it started, I was having problems with my system and needed to restore all defaults..I don't know what happened but when I bought my system it didn't come with a restore cd (dah!! never had that happen before) anyway by time I realized that I didn't have a cd it was to late.
    I downloaded System Register (yea i know first mistake)to help my computer run better and it was working until my son decided to help me one day and wiped my system clean, i mean literally clean. now i have no os.

So i need an os and i know my brother has xp, i have xp home edition, i get a copy of my brothers (yea i know second mistake) even though his computer is different from mine i'm thinking that the basics will be there right? (wrong).

but i am able to load xp back on my system, it's not doing bad but not great...i called a guy in the it office at my college and asked his advice...he suggested i totally wipe my computer clean......a little hesitant but i figure this guy knows what he's doing right (wrong :( ! he has me delete both partitions off my computer and create a new one the settings prior to deletion was as follows:

D: partition 1 (Presario_RP) [Fat 32] 3529MB (708MB free)
    C: partition 2 (Presario) [NTFS] 110934MB (100489MB free)
    unpartitioned space 7MB

after deleting the partitions i get one partition C: partition1 Presario ntfs 1144679 MB free

I reloaded xp per his instructions and knowing I wouldn't have any of the things that came with my computer now have nothing on it except the basics.

Now the problem i have reloaded everything that i have a disk for but for some reason my sound card driver is not functioning. i seem to be missing the following device:

driver version: 5.1.2535
    INF: wave inf
    Device ID: root\media\ms_mmc1
    Multimedia audio controller: Pnp
    device ID: pci\ven_1106&dev_3059&subsys_39021462&rev_5013&61aaa01&0&8d

now i don't have a clue what all this is all i know is that everything is connected everything else is working but i can't play any music or sounds because of this.

is there anything you can advise me that will help me regain control of my music?

2. prospect

prospect

Welcome soarngeagle!
    If your using another copy of XP, and used your brother key to load it, and had to activate it, your sound card will be the last of your problems. :eek: With XP you can only used one copy per computer licenses . :mad: This applies to all OS, but espically XP. Microsoft can tell now how many copies of XP are out there being used, and by what key, or how ever they do it.

But as far as your sound card goes, try going to the manufacture of the sound card. Is it an onboard card? Then you will have to go to who ever made your PC. Or go to drivers.com and see if you can find it there.

3. Elvandil

Elvandil

4. soarngeagle

Oh!!!! I know I used my license I would never do anything that bad :)!!! I was just very outraged about the fact that my restore disk was not included in the package and I would have to pay another 25.00 to get one plus shipping and handling. Thanks

5. soarngeagle

Thank you Elvindale :)

Where can I find out what model I have? I've gone through everything that came with my system and except for the sticker on the cpu itself I'm really not sure. Where should I look? :confused:

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You could try this program to see if it can tell you your model. But it wouldn't hurt to try the driver, anyway. XP will tell you if it is the wrong one and it is easy enough to uninstall.

http://www.lavalys.com/index.php?page=product&view=1

In a sense, your restore disk was included in the incarnation of the restore partition. You probably could have copied that to a CD, but not now :D.

7. soarngeagle

Well I've tried that to no avail!!!:( although after downloading it I was able to run a report and it gave me a listing of everything on the computer can i email you that list maybe you can make some sense out of it and decipher which sound device i orginally had. my email is [email protected]

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!