1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost everything!!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lucky103, Apr 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lucky103

Lucky103 Thread Starter

I own an Hp pavillion a1140n. I screwed up big. I went into the recovery partition and next thing I know, windows was reinstalled. I have all of my programs, but none of my files. I know the files are still in there, because there is about 100gigs of used memory. I don't know how to fix this, and I am in a huge blunder. I would appreciate any help in recovering my files. Also, the system said I had no restore point.

2. jmwills

jmwills

What kind of restore did you do? There are two types, one is where the hard drive is re-imaged and one where the OS is basically repaired. Sounds like the later.
    Is there a Restore Option to a point before you "tinkered"?

3. Lucky103

Lucky103 Thread Starter

I went into system restore and It said I had no restore points. I have never made one, but I have installed programs quite recently. Sorry about responding so late.

4. MTDrew

MTDrew

did the window look any different than the "normal" windows xp setup screen .. if its a image partition most vendors use a program called ghost or something similar, which "WILL" completly format and setup your system out of the box.

now you are mentioning you have a few hundred gigs taken up? as stated above you have probably done a repair or overinstalled XP, can you gain access to the documents and settings folder?
    lets check it for your data ..

ohh .. and your operating system creates restore points every 4 hours, or every restart shutdown action

5. Lucky103

Lucky103 Thread Starter

I recently talked to an HP person, and she said that my data was lost. I can access anything on my computer, so I'm wondering what steps I should take. According to the recovery note, it said no files would be lost. I am at school, so I can't get to my computer, but any steps or ideas would be very helpful.

6. jmwills

jmwills

Go into the Documents and Settings Folder and see which profiles are there.

7. Lucky103

Lucky103 Thread Starter

In the documents and settings, there is: Administrator, All Users, Guest, HP_Administrator.

8. jmwills

jmwills

What was the Acount name you used last?

9. Lucky103

Lucky103 Thread Starter

The name I used before the recovery was I think Brian. My image is the same as before

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/455817

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice