1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Firefox Browsing Session

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by ClaireB, Feb 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaireB

ClaireB Thread Starter

Earlier tonight, my computer crashed unexpectedly. I restarted the computer and reopened Firefox, expecting to see the relief-inducing "Well, this is embarrassing . . ." Restore Session page. When this did not happen, I quickly Googled appropriate courses of action. I have explored the Profile folder to no avail; there is one file called sessionCheckpoints.json, and within a subfolder "sessionstore-backups", I have three options: "previous" and "recovery", which will not let me open them, and "recovery.bak", which, like the Checkpoints file, might let me open it if I were willing to let my computer seek out the program it requires for this action. Due to my general inexperience with computers, I am reluctant to give my laptop that kind of free rein, especially because the Internet told me to look for files named "sessionrestore.js" and sessionrestore.bak", neither of which are in evidence.
    From there, I desperately hoped that typing "about:sessionrestore" into the location bar might yield some sort of belated Valentine's Day miracle, but it did not. I was also alarmed to read that one should not open a new browsing window under these circumstances because it overwrites the old session information files, but I had to do that in order to Google everything and post this.
    I am now well beyond the means of my limited computer skills (this is also why I haven't mentioning my operating system; I don't know which one I have, but my laptop is an HP). I'm a writer and was doing about twenty tabs' worth of research when the computer crashed; many of said tabs had not yet been bookmarked. Please help me! At this point it should be pretty clear that I'm desperate.

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Hoping your Firefox isn't set to delete history on exit, you could try MozillaHistoryView. It could at least show you the pages you've been to. Or, you can use Firefox's built-in history view?

3. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I click on History and select Restore Previous Session. I've had to do this a few times today because my browser kept closing. (I must have been doing something strange and not aware of what was causing my browser to close).

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice