Lost formulas in Excel

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Wayfarer19

My wife received a Microsoft Excel file. Formulas in this file are missing. For example, if cell E45 should be the SUM of a range of cells above it (i.e. E35 to E44), I see a number in E45 without a formula. If I change anything in any cell from E35 to E44, E45 will not change. The extension of the file is "xlsx". I use the latest version of Excel through Office 365 (on Windows 10). My wife is using version 2011 on a MAC. We are both seeing the same problem. The person who sent her the file does not have the same problem. What am I missing?

One more bit of information: I went under FORMULAS and selected "automatic" for calculation option - it was set to "manual". I have a feeling that this is a related issue, but I am not sure how.

etaf

Wayne
when you open the file to enable editing , are you asked any questions
often macros would be disabled - but i have not seen formulas removed and replaced with the value

.xlsx - just means its a standard office 2007 or later excel file with no macros

have a read here
http://database.ittoolbox.com/group...-l/formulas-disappeared-in-excel-file-4665988
as they have seen the issue and its due to copying the sheet before sending to you

Is the sender creating a new workbook to email you ?

Wayfarer19

Wayne, thank you for following up with this problem.

When I open the file, I just receive the ordinary "Protected View" message in Excel with a button to enable editing. Nothing else. I have tried to open the file directly from the email in Outlook. I have also saved it to my desktop before opening it. It makes no difference.

I already read the article you passed on. I also read a more pertinent thread (https://forums.techguy.org/threads/solved-excel-2007-formula-vanishes.802842/). It helped me understand that things happen when sheets are saved or files are transferred from one user to another, particularly under different versions. But I am still unable to fix the issue.

etaf

Wayne
Can she save the workbook onto a share like dropbox/onedrive , so you can access the same file - but i cant see how that file changes just by going through the email system

Wayfarer19

Wayne, I will see if we can get this through Dropbox. She asked the sender for more information as well. I will update this thread when I find out more. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts