1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost free space in drive c after windows xp reinstall

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by SUEOHIO, Feb 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    how do i get it back? my total disk space in c is 37.28 gb. i had 80% free space in c before i did a clean reinstall as my hubby messed up something. im now down to 69% free space. what happened to it? the computer is working fine and i know windows xp home sp2 uses a lot of space but this is a puzzle to me. any suggestions welcomed. ive cleaned the disk and defragged but it didnt give me back much free space. i thought a clean reinstall is supposed to wipe everything out and put you back to brand new. :(

2. loserOlimbs

loserOlimbs

Have you gone
    Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative tools -> Disk Management

to see if XP sees the space there. It might unpartitioned or in RAW, but it should be there.

3. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    thanks for the info. i will check it out. although i think i know what happened to the free space. when i reinstalled xp home sp2 i used the feature that said install advanced instead of upgrade recommended. i also didnt get a message to boot from a cd. maybe its installing over the old version and thats why my free space has shrunk. but its up and running ok except for losing 13% free space. yet it told me it was deleting everything then it was installing. also can i use the windows xp home sp1 that came with our other dell computer and just type in my product key instead of the one i would be borrowing. they are both dell computers.

4. Old Rich

Old Rich

Yes you can . . as long as the version ( Home or Pro ) is the same.

if you use a Dell installation disc to install on a Dell that came with XP, you will not usually be asked for the Product Code or have to activate the installation. You should update to SP2 immediately after the install while the system is clean . . then load chipset and other drivers, before loading applications.

If you need it, This is a great guide for reinstalling on a Dell.

I expect what happened was that you installed a second instance of XP . . . which took up the additional space. This time , be sure to delete all the partitions to get a clean installation

5. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    when i reinstalled it i think it asked did i want to delete the partition in c and it gave how much space i said yes then i think it told me i couldnt. ive checked disk management and it says its healthy and that i have 70% free space. on the dell windows xp disk it is xp home which both computers have. the one i just reinstalled on had sp2 and its an optiplex. the dell windows cd that i want to use is from a dimension 4600 and its 2 years newer. so if i use the dell windows xp cd i wont get into any trouble will i? if i dont have to put in a product code or activate it that would be great although i wont mind if i have to. will using the dell cd give me more free space? sorry to ask a lot of questions but i dont want to reinstall it wrong and create a problem. thanks for all of the info and help so far. :) ps i want it to install from the cd and not install from my windows welcome screen.

6. Old Rich

Old Rich

That would indicate you did not boot from the install CD . . once you do that, you can delete anything.

Not as long as you install on a Dell that came with the same version installed.

Yes . . enter BIOS ( Setup ) and set the first boot device as CD/ROM. Put your XP Disc in the drive and disconnect all external peripherals except the monitor, keyboard and mouse, and be sure those are not USB, or wireless. Any internal USB card should also be removed.

Once you set your BIOS to boot first from cd . . when it restarts you will see a black screen with a prompt "Press any key to boot from CD" . . do that and you will be able to delete any or all partitions and recreate one or more, then proceed to formating and installing XP.

That message can pass quickly, so have a finger on the keyboard when you boot. This will delete all data on the drive so be sure you have your important data backed up. The prompt will appear after every reboot, but do not press any key on subsequent reboots. The setup process will continue with no action required from you.

If you do not get that message, and you have another optical drive, try the XP CD in the other drive.

7. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    just for curiousity i tried the dell windows cd and it didnt work because it said the version i have on the optiplex is newer. so i guess ill live with 70% free space since everything is working fine. i just wish i could figure out how to get the free space that i lost back. ive cleaned out all junk that i dont need but it didnt help. oh well, maybe by magic it will come back. :)

8. monkey56657

monkey56657

Hello.

Simply reinstall xp and choose to format the partition as "NTFS".

Fat32 partitions as u have installed it as (i presume based on the numbers) limits the maximum partition capacity to 32GB. take away the 1 and a half ish that XP sp2 takes and ure at 29.5. Therefore 29.5 / 40 is 73% (close to ure 69% ;) )

Hope this helps.

9. Old Rich

Old Rich

If you got that message, you did not boot from the cd and delete the partitions for a clean install

10. SUEOHIO

SUEOHIO Thread Starter

First Name:
    SUE
    problem solved! :) i had a friend come over and show me what i was doing wrong. i was basically reinstalling windows over windows and thats why i kept losing free space. so now if i ever heaven forbid have to do this again i know exactly what steps to follow. so after putting back all my programs and what i had in such as my printer my antivirus all the windows updates etc, i now have 91% free space. and yes i was using the ntfs system. i just wasnt deleting it to wipe things out thats what the problem was. thanks for all the help and suggestions. my computer is right as rain again. i have even more free space than when i bought it . go figure. :)

11. Old Rich

Old Rich

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!