1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost hard drive section

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by graeylin13, Jan 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. graeylin13

graeylin13 Thread Starter

I've been beating myself over the head about this problem for two years now and haven't find an answer searching online yet.... I started the smart failure warning on a hard drive for system... so contacted my computer maker about the problem (still under warranty and such) about it and other issues that company had been having with hardware and such (recovery disks, where you burn the copy of the disks needed to reset your computer to factory is something happene dto the drive and part that held it, burning back disks, problems with their configuration causing hard drive and/pr mobo failures) and got the run around, so called the people doing my extended warranty who said my hard drive and mobo were gonna fail and the maker knew about it, but I was covered so they sent me a new hard drive and mobo... only problem was..as mentioned the issue with burning the recovery disk and back ups... an issue the maker knew about and would usually send the disks for free, but had started not doing so.
    Okay.. so I decide, since things were still working I'd try and copy the hard drive on the other and then replace everything... In the middle of this.. setting up the two partitions and formatting them... the old hard drive crashed.... no help from the maker and even the other warranty guys were having issues from them getting copies of the disks they should have had.... so, I use my wifes laptop to download the OS version I had.. install it on my computer and run down all the various drivers for it (This may help some people who lose a hard drive and need to reinstal windows without a disk... you can reinstal it with anyone elses copy of the same version you have..in my case Vista 32bit Home Premium... when it asks for the key, just use your own... Microsoft will recognise it. This is not stealing an OS, but using the one you already own. You may get the 3 day or 30 day warning.. if you do, just finish installing... when you can connect to the interent redo it..it will accept it then..the warning is because your key doesn't match the embedded one in their copy)... I get everythuing up and running, minus the host of program's that came with the pc.. it actually runs better now... but here's the problem...
    My hard drive is a 500gig, but C drive only shows 465 gigs... I know the other hard drive "reserved" 45 gigs for the permamnent copy of everything for a fresh from the factory restore, plus room so system restore used that partition... yet no matter what I have done, that 45gigs remains missing now. I have used the windows tools, several partition recovery softwares, and etc. I mean .. there's nothing wrong with how my pc runs or etc... but that 45 missing gigs plays on my mind and I would really like to recover it... any ideas?

2. dai

dai

3. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

A 500Gb disk only shows that anyway.
    It is all to do with marketing to whom 500Gb is 5 with nine zeroes after it whereas the real reported capacity uses the correct method of measuring it using binary.
    For example
    To marketing a kilobyte is 1000 bytes
    To a computer a kilobyte is 1024 bytes
    Multiply that up and you get the difference.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  5. graeylin13

graeylin13 Thread Starter

You know... I actually used to know that and now feel completely stupid.. thank you greatly, one less thing to obsess over in life.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086762

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice