1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost hard drive!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DrTR, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DrTR

DrTR Thread Starter

Hi!

Somehow one of my internal hard drives disappeared.

What could have happened?

Thank you.

Dr. T.

2. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hiya DrTR.

I`m guessing that Father Christmas hasn`t dropped off the presents but stolen your hard drive so the next thing to check is that it`s connected properly with the power lead and the ribbon/cable and don`t forget to check the motherboard end of the ribbon/cable as well.

Does the drive show up in BIOS but not the system and has this suddenly happened or is it after trying to connect it for the first time?

A little insight into the sequence of events leading up to it being missing might help a bit but always bare in mind that hard drives can and do fail so if you`ve had it for a while, that might be the reason.

Regards
    Jenny

3. DrTR

DrTR Thread Starter

I turned the computer off and on. The hard drive appeared!!!

What could be wrong?

Dr. T.

4. JennyJackson01

JennyJackson01 Account Closed

Hello Dr T.

I go back to my first suggestion to check the security of the power and data cables or ribbons and don`t forget the motherboard end of them as well.

I shouldn`t need so say it but I will do ... do the cable check with the machine off but if the drive has shown up, it`s obviously not completely dead so take the opportunity to remove or at least, back up, any data that you want off it just in case it doesn`t show up on the next reboot.

Regards
    Jenny

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!