1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost homenetwork, forgot how to do it

Discussion in 'Networking' started by bp936, Jan 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

I only want to connect my 3 computers with each other, not to the internet. I once had laptop and desktop connected years ago but I've forgotten how I done this. Each laptop connected wirelessly to desktop that has Linksys wireless router, but never all 3 together. All have Windows XP, Dell has SP3 others only SP2. (can't update on dial-up to SP3).

I mainly use the Toshiba laptop to connect to desktop and Dell, desktop has the printer.
    Now I don't remember how to delete existing wireless settings, and then which computer do I first tell to setup a wireless network? Which one do I put the USB stick in first?
    Do I reset Linksys?
    Do I first tell computers the new Workgroup name? or is that on the USB from the first computer?
    I would be happy if at least I could connect Toshiba and desktop (no-name brand) for the purpose of printing.
    Do I delete existing shared folders on each computer? I have a lot of folders marked to share.
    Any help is appreciated.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Depends on what wireless utility you are using. Here is a description for WZC.

Since you have a router it's best and easiest to use it. Connect each of your PCs to the router--either wireless or to a LAN port. Then you can set up your workgroup by using the wizard on each PC as follows.

Run the Network Setup wizard (found in Control Panel of XP). Tell it each of your computers connects to the internet via "residential gateway" and that you want to enable file and printer sharing. Create a disk at the end only if you have a Windows PC other than XP or 2k Pro or Vista or 7.

Windows XP firewall (if SP2 or SP3) will be properly configured by the wizard. You must uninstall or properly configure any 3rd party firewalls on each machine. Unique computer names and same workgroup, of course.

The Shared Documents folder is automatically shared. Any other folders (or drives) or printers you want to share, just right click on them and sharing ... . When sharing a printer, accept the offer to load other drivers if your other PCs have different Operating System(s).

When you first go into My Network Places there will be nothing there. The first time you click on 'View Workgroup computers' will probably result in great disappointment. It takes awhile (up to 15 minutes) before all the computers in the workgroup get up-to-date and accurate lists of the other computers. Often you can speed up this process via Search for other computers.

When computers show up in My Network Places, double click on one to see its shares. If that includes a printer, you can right click on the printer to connect to it.

3. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

thank you for the instructions Terry.

I have tried from your link how to delete the existing "profile" , tried to follow step by step, but I think I really messed up/
    I will print out the instructions and re-do at first 2 computers only.
    I probably entered into the Linksys program a lot of wrong information, so I will try to first delete everything there.
    Do I need to re-install the Linksys disk, just in case there is something hiding I can't find, because desktop does not find anything but itself?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you reset the router to factory default settings you should be able to use it that way. Login to it and set the SSID (wireless network name) to whatever you desire. Later, after you are sure all computers are connecting OK you can login again and enable encryption--WPA-PSK if everything supports it, but at least WEP.

Here is a way to make sure a computer is properly communicating with the router. For your case I expect the Default Gateway to be 192.168.1.1.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting. Following is how to use ping to test for communication with your router.

On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

You should get all 4 replies.

5. bp936

bp936 Thread Starter

it took me a while to delete previous entries. I double-checked all new entries, like name of computers and the workgroup names. I had that all different , so I had to find how to delete it, because my computers do not seem to follow the exact route as in the link.

I reset router, told to search for other places, entered computers name.
    Firewalls were stopped, not uninstalled,
    Second time I NOTICED, I forgot to restart computers.:eek:

Then computers were searching for each other, left them alone for hours and now I HAVE THEM SEEING EACH OTHER. I shared folder and NOW it works this far. :)

I have not entered any security stuff, it seems to do partially on its own because it said, entering security settings.
    As I said before, I do not connect through one computer to the internet, but separately, it does not work to connect through wireless to a computer and then to the internet with dial-up (JUST AN FYI, in-case some else has the same problem).

I did test printing through the wireless connection. (y)

I didn't tests anything any further yet but I am already happy with this. and I want to thank you (y) from the bottom of my heart for your help.

I hope the connections will stay after several restarts before marking this -solved-

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974274

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice