lost icons at restart

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

CommandoDuck

Dear Sir,

I turned on my laptop, and there aren't any icons at all. There is no task bar, no anything....all I see is the background (default).

How can I restore the settings, or get it so I can have everything back to normal upon restarting?

P.S.
I searched the forums for the answer, but was not able to find the answer. I hope this is not a repeat question, same platform, etc.

Thank you in advance,
Respectfully,

Commando Duck

Which Operating System are you using? And also, which File System, NTFS or FAT32? Which Service Pack?

This is usually a symptom of there being a problem with Internet Explorer.

Fixing that usually takes care of the shell not loading.

CommandoDuck

Win 2000

Service pack 1

I am just not sure how to find out what file management system or version, etc. I have.

How do I find this? Thank u again.

CD

A repair install will probably fix the problem. Although if you do that, you will then have to reinstall your Service packs and Windows Updates etc. And I don't know which version of IE you had to begin with.
I know with Win9x you have to rename this file before an overinstall if you have updated IE since the original installation

System\iemigrat.dll

Yours would be system32

system32\iemigrat.dll
Rename it to iemigrat.old

Let's try this first.
Can you do a CTRL +ALT+DEL when you get to the empty desktop and get the Task Manager then to the Applications tab, new task button. and Start a command prompt? Type cmd.exe to start a prompt.
If so, trying an IE repair might work. I am attaching a text file containing the command lines to start an IE repair for IE 6 and IE 5. These assume you are using C as the Drive. Change accordingly. Also, be sure word Wrap is on. These are one liners.

We can at least try to revert to the previous version if a repair is not possible. When you run the command, a Page with 3 options will appear. Try Reapair first. IF no go, run the command again and then choose Revert to the previous windows configuration. After, reboot and see if you can get into Windows.

If worse comes to worse, you'll have to try a repair install.

Attachments

CommandoDuck

Yes, in fact that is the way I was able to get into a program.

I pressed cntrl=alt=del and went to task manager,

this gave me the option to run a program,

from there, I went t 'documents and settings',

I right clicked this and the icons appeared, as did the start button and bottom toolbar.

I then went to the interenet to find help.

Please respond, and let me know if I should go with your text commands. Thanks.

C D

Interesting. I am not sure. You can try an IE repair. But Maybe this is a different problem. Win2k is different from Win9x.

Do you want to try a reboot to see if the problem is gone?

I do know that if the RPC (that's Remote Procedure Call) service is not started , then no taskbar and no desktop. Try checking your services to be sure that it is set to automatic.

CommandoDuck

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I check my services to see if they are set at "automatic".

Thanks again,

CD

I use XP and it is different from win2k. I would go to start>run and type

services.msc
Press enter

I would then check the list and look for remote Procedure call. Double click on it to bring up the properties page.

CommandoDuck

I went through the start-run-remote and the properties show the setting at "automatic", where do I go from here?

Please, thank u.
CD

Since you did get the system to work. I do not know really. You might try a reboot and see if it loads this time. Sometimes you just get a bad boot. And the first thing to do when that happens is to reboot to see if that is the case.

You can also wait to see if someone else may have more information on this particular problem.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online