1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost in space & fustrated)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by simon5150, Sep 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. simon5150

simon5150 Thread Starter

can any one help me out here , i have a western digital hd
    caviar 2340 i want to install wim98se on it , i have the win98se cd . but i don know how to set up the hard drive (fdisk) format it
    can any one give me step by step instructions on this install procedure , i do have cd rom support if that makes any diffrence..... thanks this is my first time installing a hd , if you dont post here , please e-mail me at [email protected]

2. JenniferLore

JenniferLore Banned

You can try booting off the installation CD - if you can boot you will be prompted to select the partition to install. If you cannot boot then follow these instructions:

1. Boot the computer with a windows 98 boot floppy. At the a:> prompt type
    fdisk
    press enter.
    Select 'Y' for large hard drive support

You are going to create a PRIMARY DOS PARTITION - i think it's option 1.
    Depending on how many partitions you want answer Y to use the entire disk for the new partition or 'n' to select the size of your new partition. Follow the instructions to complete creating your partition.

Once you are done creating the primary partition you will be prompted to restart the computer.

Restart and boot off the floppy disk 'with cd-rom support'

at the a:> prompt type
    format c:
    when the format completes you are ready to install windows 98.
    Insert the disk in the cd-rom and type
    setup

3. Ridgerunr

Ridgerunr

WD has a diagnostics/install tool that you can dn/load from their site and put on floppy. You can use this along with a Win98 boot disk to set up your drive easily. you boot with the WD floppy and choose 'install'. It will tell you to insert the Win98 floppy at a point and do the partition/format for you. This is the 'easy' way. It also offers an 'expert' option if you want more than one partition on your drive. It's a' bit more complicated, but it allows you to add more partitions and drag or click them to the size(s) you want. After that, you reboot with the Win98 floppy and choose 'with CD-ROM support' from the menu. It will install the ATAPI CD-ROM drivers and leave you at an A:\> prompt. Just above the prompt,you should see what has been designated as your CD-ROM drive letter. Change the prompt to the CD drive by typing X: (X being the CD-ROM letter) and pressing <enter>. At this point,insert your Win98 disk and type 'setup' (no quotes) and press <enter>. Just follow the prompts from there...

4. zeddy

zeddy

Have you sorted out this problem yet?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/166845

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice