lost in space & fustrated)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

simon5150

can any one help me out here , i have a western digital hd
caviar 2340 i want to install wim98se on it , i have the win98se cd . but i don know how to set up the hard drive (fdisk) format it
can any one give me step by step instructions on this install procedure , i do have cd rom support if that makes any diffrence..... thanks this is my first time installing a hd , if you dont post here , please e-mail me at [email protected]

JenniferLore

Banned
You can try booting off the installation CD - if you can boot you will be prompted to select the partition to install. If you cannot boot then follow these instructions:

1. Boot the computer with a windows 98 boot floppy. At the a:> prompt type
fdisk
press enter.
Select 'Y' for large hard drive support

You are going to create a PRIMARY DOS PARTITION - i think it's option 1.
Depending on how many partitions you want answer Y to use the entire disk for the new partition or 'n' to select the size of your new partition. Follow the instructions to complete creating your partition.

Once you are done creating the primary partition you will be prompted to restart the computer.

Restart and boot off the floppy disk 'with cd-rom support'

at the a:> prompt type
format c:
when the format completes you are ready to install windows 98.
Insert the disk in the cd-rom and type
setup

WD has a diagnostics/install tool that you can dn/load from their site and put on floppy. You can use this along with a Win98 boot disk to set up your drive easily. you boot with the WD floppy and choose 'install'. It will tell you to insert the Win98 floppy at a point and do the partition/format for you. This is the 'easy' way. It also offers an 'expert' option if you want more than one partition on your drive. It's a' bit more complicated, but it allows you to add more partitions and drag or click them to the size(s) you want. After that, you reboot with the Win98 floppy and choose 'with CD-ROM support' from the menu. It will install the ATAPI CD-ROM drivers and leave you at an A:\> prompt. Just above the prompt,you should see what has been designated as your CD-ROM drive letter. Change the prompt to the CD drive by typing X: (X being the CD-ROM letter) and pressing <enter>. At this point,insert your Win98 disk and type 'setup' (no quotes) and press <enter>. Just follow the prompts from there...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online