Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lost internet connection following Windows 7 re-installation

2K views 19 replies 3 participants last post by  valis 
#1 ·
Having downloaded a replacement windows 7, I now have no intenet connectio either wireless or via the Ethernet.

I have an Aser Aspire 5742 and have attempted to reload drivers, but the computer is saying "invalid for detected operating system" and on another driver: "Device may not be present or could have been unplugged".

All internet systems were functioning prior to installaiom of Windows 7.

#6 ·
have you check your device manager? Start > control panel > system > device manager on the top of the left hand pane. Check for any exclamation marks.

#8 ·
try this:

click start > run > sysdm.cpl > hardware tab > device manager > check for yellow triangles. Those are the drivers you need. When you find a yellow triangle, check out the hardware ID's on the driver details tab; it should look like PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&SUBSYS_01681028&REV_02.

The VEN_ is the vendor ID, the DEV_ is the device id; enter both of them at http://pcidatabase.com/. That will give you the details you need to track down the driver. Don't hesitate to post back here; it's a lot to swallow at once.

#11 ·
click start > run > sysdm.cpl > hardware tab > device manager > check for yellow triangles. Those are the drivers you need. When you find a yellow triangle, check out the hardware ID's on the driver details tab; it should look like PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24DF&SUBSYS_01681028&REV_02.

The VEN_ is the vendor ID, the DEV_ is the device id; enter both of them at http://pcidatabase.com/. That will give you the details you need to track down the driver. Don't hesitate to post back here; it's a lot to swallow at once.
I'm sorry, but I couldn't see how to make this work!

#9 · (Edited)
I have an Acer Aspire 5742
What's the exact SNID number and serial number on that Acer Aspire 5742 laptop?
Which country was it purchased in?
Having downloaded a replacement windows 7, I now have no intenet connectio either wireless or via the ethernet
have attempted to reload drivers, but the computer is saying "invalid for detected operating system"
It appears to have a Broadcom ethernet device.
It appears to have an Atheros or Broadcom wireless device.
I purchased an authorised version of "Windows 7 Home & Student", and downloaded the programme
64-bit
You purchase it from where?
Provide the webpage link to it.

It appears that laptop originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
Is that the Windows version on its COA sticker?

-------------------------------------------------------------

#10 ·
Actually I now see that it is model 5742Z purchased in the UK
SNID 03820764816
It was originally loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
When it crashed a year ago, my repair man loaded it with an unlicensed version of windows 7 which i wasn't happy about, and so I re-installed a purchased version of Windows 7 home premium obtained from: http://softwaregeeks.co.uk

Thanks for your interest.

Philip

#12 ·
I now see that it is model 5742Z purchased in the UK
SNID 03820764816
It was originally loaded with Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
According to that SNID number at the U.K. Acer support site, this is your Acer Aspire 5742Z laptop.

Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

When it crashed a year ago, my repair man loaded it with an unlicensed version of windows 7 which i wasn't happy about, and so I re-installed a purchased version of Windows 7 home premium obtained from: https://softwaregeeks.co.uk/
Is THIS what you purchased?
Besides the obviously low price of that disc, it's from a Dell computer.

---------------------------------------------------------------

#13 ·
I'm sorry, but I couldn't see how to make this work!
Double-click those Ethernet Controller and Network Controller entries to open their properties window.
Click the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.
One or more strings will appear that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.
Advise what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

----------------------------------------------------------------

#14 ·
Double-click those Ethernet Controller and Network Controller entries to open their properties window.
Click the "Details" tab and then select "Hardware Ids" in the list.
One or more strings will appear that have VEN_####&DEV_#### as part of it.
Advise what the exact 4-character codes are that follow VEN_ and DEV_

----------------------------------------------------------------
It says "No driver files are required or have been loaded on this device"

#17 ·
Ethernet Controller VEN_14E4 DEV _1692
Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 ethernet device
Network Controller VEN_14E4 DEV_4357
Broadcom BCM94322 WiFi 802.11b/g/n wireless device

Go here.
Enter SNID number 03820764816 in its box, then click the green search arrow.
Once the searching process is finished, select Windows 7 64-bit for the operating system.
The list of device drivers will appear.
These are the ethernet and wireless drivers you should need.

Brown Beige Electric blue Font Pattern

Beige Font Electric blue Rectangle Pattern

The driver files are in .ZIP format, so they need to be downloaded and saved inside individual empty folders.
Once that's done, extract their contents into their own folder.
The wireless(WLAN) folder has a "Setup.exe" file inside of it that you need to double-click to start the install process.
The ethernet(LAN) folder has a "x64" folder inside of it, which has a "Setup.exe" file inside of it that you need to double-click to start the install process.

I've done everything that I can do without being there to download and install those drivers for you.
If you can't do it yourself, get someone computer-knowledgeable to do it for you.
Good luck.

#18 ·
Broadcom NetLink BCM57780 ethernet device

Broadcom BCM94322 WiFi 802.11b/g/n wireless device

Go here.
Enter SNID number 03820764816 in its box, then click the green search arrow.
Once the searching process is finished, select Windows 7 64-bit for the operating system.
The list of device drivers will appear.
These are the ethernet and wireless drivers you should need.

View attachment 246235

View attachment 246236

The driver files are in .ZIP format, so they need to be downloaded and saved inside individual empty folders.
Once that's done, extract their contents into their own folder.
The wireless(WLAN) folder has a "Setup.exe" file inside of it that you need to double-click to start the install process.
The ethernet(LAN) folder has a "x64" folder inside of it, which has a "Setup.exe" file inside of it that you need to double-click to start the install process.

I've done everything that I can do without being there to download and install those drivers for you.
If you can't do it yourself, get someone computer-knowledgeable to do it for you.
Good luck.

Dear Flavallee,

Many thanks for your help and patience. The downloads worked, and I am now back online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.