1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost internet connection

Discussion in 'Networking' started by drsgoode, Apr 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drsgoode

drsgoode Thread Starter

undefined
    I would be grateful for any suggestions!?
    I have an AMD Duron 1000mhZ 256 meg RAM desktop running 98SE, Internet explorer 6, Outlook Express and NAV 2004 (originally no ad-aware, spybot etc), networked wirelessly through a 54g router to a laptop.
    After some surfing, the desktop developed problems. There was serious adware etc, and I managed to run ad-aware only once before I lost the internet connection.
    The desktop is still talking to the laptop, so the actual hardware appears to be working - there is (?probably) software interference with the internet connection.
    My email cannot find the POP server.
    The browser still has my URL homepage address but fails to connect to the homepage. The associated icon at the head of it has transmogrified from the "e" to an icon with two 1/2 sweeping red ellipses.
    The "properties" for the browser says that it cannot find the server, the protocol is unknown, and the address is now "res://c:\windows\system\shdoclc.dll/dnserror.htm#http://(URL homepage)/
    Thanks

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Can you ping an external IP address (e.g. 199.181.164.1)
    Can you ping an external web site name

3. drsgoode

drsgoode Thread Starter

Thanks Bob. However, I am a novice - I will go find out what "pinging" is!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222527

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice