1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost internet connection

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by NNEagle, Oct 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. NNEagle

NNEagle It's My Birthday! Thread Starter

A friend reloaded his Windows XP Pro and after which he is not able to log onto the internet because the short cut on the desk top has gone. How does he go about getting onto the internet. He has tried several ways of going there but has come up with a blank.

Trying to help him out as the internet connection people have still not responded to his serveral calls. He has paid for a five month prescription with unlimited download,broad band service.
    Does your software for the internet connection get erased when you reinstall Windows XP pro,if it does, how do you recover it.

2. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    Check in device manager to see if the network/modem drivers are installed

3. NNEagle

Thank you for the help. I was taken to a site where in I could check the drivers on my computer. Credit card details were required. Is it advisable?

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You don't even need to have internet access to look in Device Manager. If you don't know how search for Device Manager in the Help and Support Center.

Best bet is to get the latest chipset and networking and any other drivers needed from the web site of the PC manufacturer's web site (motherboard manufacturer's site is second choice). Install the chipset first, then networking, then any others needed.

Give your credit card details and you will be taken to the cleaners!

5. NNEagle

Thank you very much. I will do just that and hope all goes well

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Please, please mean that you are going to download and install the required drivers.

"taken to the cleaners" is a bad thing; I didn't notice before that you are in India, and may not be familiar with all our idioms.

7. NNEagle

Oh yes, Thanks once again.

I will download and install the required drivers. Going to the cleaners is no aim of mine lol.

8. Everway9

Everway9

First Name:
    Drew
    It's not advisable no

9. Gombot

Gombot It's My Birthday!

It sounds to me like your friend is using some third-party software as an interface to the internet. Something like AOL software.

So if that's the case, yes it must be reinstalled after reinstalling Windows. Your friend should be able to get the software from his vendor and reinstall it.

10. NNEagle

Thanks for all the help. Took the CPU back to the vendor who re installed all the software after a format. Thanks once again for the help and time taken to guide me through this.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758961

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice