1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Ip address information

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Susan88, Sep 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Susan88

Susan88 Thread Starter

I have a belkin modem/router which is connected to my computer, i also have a laptop which is connected through this. But recently my laptop wont connect to it. I found out that my laptop has an 'invalid ip address'. When i ipconfig on run it brings up no information like it should. i just wanted to know how i can get this information back onto my laptop cos then i can reconnect it to my router, thank you

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Please supply the following info, exact make and models of the equipment please.

The name of your ISP and country of residence.
    Make/model of the broadband modem. If dial-up, please specify.
    Make/model of the router (if any).
    Connection type, wired, wireless.
    If wireless, encryption used, (WEP, WPA, WPA2, etc.)
    Make/model of network card or wireless adapter.
    Make/model of your computer (motherboard if home-built).
    Version and patch level of Windows on all affected machines, i.e. XP-Home (or XP-Pro), SP2.

Also, please give an exact description of your problem symptoms, including the exact text of any error messages.

I'd also like to see this from the laptop and desktop computers.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

3. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

It's good that one computer can connect to the Internet. That means the router is at least functioning.

Is the laptop connected to the router wired or wireless?

If wireless, can you temporarily connect wired? This is just to help determine where the source of problem might be.

4. jcbarr

jcbarr

Look in My Network Places and see if any adapters show up. If not then check your device manager to make sure that the device is working properly and the driver has been configured correclty. If still having problems check under the services of your pc and make sure that the I believe it is Network Connections or Network Browsing service is started.

If all of this looks good then do a google search for netsh, that is a command line option that will allow you to configure the IP address of your LAN adapter from a dos command line. It will also let you export the current settings to a text file so that you can see what IP you are currently using.

5. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Also check there that it simply hasn't been disabled.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/619881

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice