1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost MBs

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bogjumper, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bogjumper

bogjumper Thread Starter

Good Day and thanks to anyone who can help me.
    Can you tell me why XP and W98 have black holes on the HDD. I have XP on 2 Gigs as the OS.It and the small number of apps take up about 500 mb. leaving 1.5 Gig free. When I look at the partition it tells me that all I have free is 200 mb. I suspect that this might be something to do with backup but I need to make at least 600mb available for Nero to work or so the burner tells me. Is there any way out.
    Secondly I have tried deleting a number of the MS apps such as ie etc but they simply will not go which annoys me very much. Can this be done ????

2. moper

moper

If I were installing XP today, The partition would be 15-20 G's, mimimum.
    There is a swap file that uses 1.5x your ram. Hibernation, if enabled, uses a good amount. All the updates you recieve, keep using space.
    Then you have Temp files, that are used by programs. The list goes on, using up more space each day.
    Back up your important data and buy a bigger drive. Or increase the partition size, (if there are other partitions on the drive) using a program such as Partition Magic. http://www.symantec.com/home_homeoffice/products/overview.jsp?pcid=sp&pvid=pm80

Be sure to backup anything that is important before resizing partitions.

If you are determined to run XP on 2 G's, and have the time, patience and knowledge, here is a guide to slimming down XP:http://www.bold-fortune.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229

Again, backup anything important, before proceeding.

moper

3. remaja

remaja

I don't understand your post very well.
    your saying you have xp taking over 2gigs of your hard drive space.
    500 mb goes to apps
    supposedly having another 1.5 gig HD sapce free

so you saying you own a 4 gig HD?

your nero problem confuses me even more.

here's my current solution. go to my computer>right click on local disk (c)>properties and see how much space do you really have.

do you have another partition like a local disk (D)?

4. bogjumper

bogjumper Thread Starter

Sorry if I mislead you. No I have a large drive and I only used 2 Gig for the OS with other much larger partitions for work. I have had a reply from Moper which puts me in the picture.
    What I was trying to do was to separate the OS from work and I obviously underestimated the space required. Once I have saved my needed files I will reformat and give the necessary 15 Gig.
    I was trying install W98, Linux, & XP on the first 8 Gig as I thought this was necessary so had divided it 2,4,2 but in any event I wanted to keep my main OS XP seprrate from my applications.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/542810

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice