1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost modem and sound card with upgrade

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mlayz1, Sep 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mlayz1

mlayz1 Thread Starter

Recently upgraded from WINME to WIN2K (I know)...now I have no modem or sound card....yet both show up in the "device manager" as no conflicts and functioning properly.

I got a friend to burn the WIN2K upgrade from Creatives site (23 + MB) and everything is fine until installation....it says the system does not have a Sound Blaster card in it...yet there it is in device manager.

PIII 667EB with Creative Sound Blaster Live card and unknown modem. I think if I had the modem working I could go get the updates and patches I need...scanner, printer, video cam that also don't work.

MKL

2. brite750

brite750

I think your sound is onboard (built into mobo) not separate pci type. You will need the mother board drivers installed for win2000

3. pronute

pronute

Use the disks that came with the modem and sound card the W2K drivers should be on them W2K (1999) came out before Windows ME (2000).

4. mlayz1

mlayz1 Thread Starter

I don't have the modem disk and the Creative disk doesn't have W2K on it. But I did burn the 23MB upgrade on their site...and it runs until install...then says that it can't locate a "Sound Blaster" card...which is what I have....and it's there in device manager.

100% a PCI card...not onboard.

5. pronute

pronute

Pull the sound card out, keep it out, then turn the computer back on uninstall the drivers and software, then reinstall the sound card in a different PCI slot, turn the computer back on then install the updated drivers and software. For the modem find out what make and model it is go to the manufacturers web sight and download the drivers.
    By the way integrated sound is listed in device manager as PCI device because it on the PCI bus. Creative made a sound chip for integrated sound Ensonics I don't recall the model number but if you have this chip it wont reconize the drivers for a sound card, you have to us the chip set drivers from the motherboard manufacturer for that. You can't tell from Device Manager if it's a card or not you have to take the cover off the case and look, OR if the speakers conect to the ATX I/O block you have onboard sound.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/273383

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice