1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost my 128-bit Emcryption Pack??

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 2harts4ever, Jan 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Thread Starter

Hi,

Well, this aging 'computer whiz' has done it again. I have put one foot securely in a hole and I am doing my utmost to jump in head first...lol

Here is the scoop. I installed IE 5.5, Sp#1 over IE 5.01, Sp#1 about a month ago. Since then I have had the occassion to run The IE repair twice. Both times the repair seemed to go smoothly until it was time to reboot to finish the repair. Each time I rebooted Windows kept presenting the 'Personalized Settings' window one after another until I had 7 or 8 of them minimized in my startup tray. Finally I just had to shut down the computer to get it to stop.

And, before you ask, now I can't even remember what the problem was that caused me to try running the repair. It was an error message dealing with IE, but for the life of me I can't recall anything about it.

Now for my current problem.

Last night I got this brilliant (lol) idea to just reinstall IE 5.5, Sp#1 off my IntelliMouse Optical 4.0 CD which is what I used about a month ago when I installed it over 5.01.

Well, now since I did this, I can no longer access any of my secure sites. After going to the 'About Internet Explorer' listed under 'Help' I discovered I had lost my High Encryption Pack Setting (128-bit) somewhere in this whole mess. All that is now listed after 'Cipher Strength' is '0'-bit where it used to say 128-bit.

I had been accessing my secure sites right up to before I did the reinstall last night. But, ever since I did it, I am unable to connect to any of them.

And, in the 'for what its worth' department, I just went into my 'Windows Update Setup Files' and found a file called 'Ie501dom.exe' and executed it, but after it supposedly installed the 128-bit encryption pack I rebooted as directed but still had no 128-bit.

I also read on a Microsoft site where I could rename the three files (1) Schannel.dll, (2) Rsabase.dll and (3) Rsaenh.dll in C:\Windows\System to 'old' and then reinstall IE but when I went to try it I got a message saying that two of the three files were in use by Windows.

Any ideas or will I be forced to revert to the IE 4.0 that came with the computer and work my way up again?

Thanks and regards,

2harts4ever

2. 2harts4ever

2harts4ever Thread Starter

Evening all,

The missing 128-bit Encryption Pack has been solved.

To make a long story short I went to Add/Remove Programs and reverted back to IE 4.0. Then I reinstalled IE 5.5, Sp#1 from a folder I had on my desktop and the 128-bit Encryption Pack had been restored.

Now, my only problem is I also got rid of Outlook Express 5 in the process and the only version left on my computer is the earlier 4.72.3110.5 version.

I can't find OLE anywhere on the CD I used to install IE 5.5 to my desktop and I think the OLE 5 I had been using came with the IE 5.01 I had previously.

Thanks and regards to all,

2harts4ever

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/324489

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice