1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost my Administrator priviledges!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by cre8tivmyndd, Oct 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cre8tivmyndd

cre8tivmyndd Thread Starter

:confused: :HELP!!!! Had a virus took care of it, but somehow lost my administrator rights. can't get into control panel ,user accounts,etc...keep getting message "this operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer" any suggustions?:eek:WINDOWS XP sp2

2. Het Irv

Het Irv

Uhh... Details are nice, what happened that caused you to notice that you do not have Admin privliges?

Just remember that these forums cannot help you recover passwords.
    And it is closely monitored

3. Leeis

Leeis

Go to Users in control panel and see if you can switch your present user to Admin if not logoff and logon as another Admin and change your Admin status

4. cre8tivmyndd

Can't get into cotrol panel.

5. Het Irv

Het Irv

If it was a virus then all of the admins might be disabled. If the above post does not work, back-up your data and re-install Windows. You may want to save this as a last resort tho, there might be another way that I am unaware of.

6. cre8tivmyndd

I noticed when I was trying to go into control panel, and I know my password, also i'm the only user on this computer,

7. Het Irv

Het Irv

It sounds like you had/have a virus that changed your account into a restricted user in an attempt to:
    a. be annoying
    2. keep you from removing it for a little bit longer
    III. at the same time it probably also gave itself admin privileges and install who knows what on your computer, my fresh install idea might not be a bad idea, just make sure that you back-up the files that you want to keep.

8. cre8tivmyndd

Did you forget about me?

9. cre8tivmyndd

Would backing up my data save my existing programs also?

10. Het Irv

Het Irv

You can go into each programs file and save any save file that you have but you will have to reinstall them

Sorry about the wait. I was reading about a guy that was supporting Vista and Bashing Linux
    Just so happens hes on the Microcrap payroll

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!