1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost My Documents and Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by DaveCat, Oct 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DaveCat

DaveCat Thread Starter

When I logged on the this morning all of My Documents and all of the files I had saved to my Desktop were gone. None of the files are in the Recycle Bin. I still have all of the files on my C: drive. I am using Windows XP. I do log on to a network, and it took a long time to load this morning.

Can anyone tell me what might have happened? Is there any way to restore the files and folders that disappeared? It's my understanding that using System Restore to go back to a previous point will not recover Word and Excel documents or Access databases. Is that correct?

Thanks for any help,
    David

2. allenkc

allenkc

It sounds to me like your network may have "roaming profiles" and your "roaming profile" didn't load. I have experienced this before at my work and this is what had happened. Try to reboot and log back in to see if it makes a difference.

3. DaveCat

DaveCat Thread Starter

I found all of my "lost" documents in Documents and Settings under my profile.

4. DaveCat

DaveCat Thread Starter

Thanks, Allen.

I posted my reply before seeing your response. You must be correct. I have tried rebooting once. I will try again.

I'm relieved that I found all of my documents. I'm backing up all of the important ones on the server right now.

5. allenkc

allenkc

If this is a work PC, I would contact your IT department and ask them if there is any problems with peoples profiles loading. I would bet this is the issue.

6. DaveCat

DaveCat Thread Starter

This is a work PC, and I am part of the IT department. The first thing I did after seeing my problem was to check with everyone else in my building to see if the same thing happened with them. I am the only one so far.

I will check with the guy who originally set up the network later today to see what he thinks.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/759682

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice