1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost My Documents with lost profile..please help!!

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by ViajeroZ, Mar 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ViajeroZ

ViajeroZ Thread Starter

Through a series of misadventures I somehow changed either my username or password or profile ( I am not too hep to Users and how they are managed) in Windows 2000 machine. All of the Favorites and My Documents have been lost under original username. The original user name is missing under Documents and Settings. I was stupid and didnt make a current backup, tho I do have a hard drive backup from 4 months ago..but since then have many important documents that have been lost. I have tried what I can to find these documents as they MUST still be on the hard drive. I have logged in as administrator..no documents there..I have taken the messed up hard drive and put it in as a second drive with a primary hard drive made from an image from my machine from four months ago..still no documents to be found. I have tried booting winto the Windows Recovery Console..when I log on there as administrator it says "access denied" when I try to look at files and beside, the lost files are not there. I have tried to use a file restore utility to search hard drive and restore the files in case they were deleted..no go..help!!!
    My questions are:
    Since I have a restored hard drive made with an image from four months ago..is it possible to copy over whatever files constitute this lost profile or permissions or passwords or usernames or whatever use to be on the original hard drive to restore those lost documents?
    Or..if thats not possible..is there any way to recover these files from the Recovery Console or some other utility ?
    What a freakin disaster..who would think you could totally erase every friggin document on your computer just by changing a user name..? Thanks for any help!!

2. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

That's a tough one! I've renamed profiles before and been able to move data from one to another so I'm not sure how you lost all of your documents.

You can copy documents from one profile to another if you have admin rights. You may need to restore the permissions to the files by Right click, properties, security.

3. ViajeroZ

ViajeroZ Thread Starter

Thanks..afraid it isnt that easy..I tried at first to sign on as admninistrator..still no files to be found. I have no odea what I did to delete them either..perhaps I deleted the profile..

4. cybertech

cybertech Retired Moderator

That sounds like what happened :(

But you said
    so that's what I was saying you could copy into the existing profile.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/125673

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice