1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost my family holiday pics after windows xp reload

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by timbuk62, Oct 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. timbuk62

timbuk62 Thread Starter

Hope someone can help.

Yesterday I turned on my Pc and I got an error message saying that something was wrong with the registry, I read up on the problem and it said that I could reload windows over the old version without losing any of my files and this would fix the problem.

But when I started Windows again it looked like a new version and I couldn't find any of my old files, I did not format the drive.

Usually I wouldn't care about old files but I went to Portugal in September and brought my two little ghirls and all the photos were on the pc, I'd be gutted if I lost all these pics.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in Advance:(

2. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

What format were they in?
    If they were .jpg files, use Search to look for *.jpg. Change the extension to suit your files.

It will list all these files on your system.
    If they show up, then note where they are and recover them to somewhere you can find them again.

(I am presuming you are using 2000 or XP?)

PLEASE back up your photos, and any important data.
    I have seen a lot of valuable data go missing due to corrupt log-in files, when they are re-created all data that was stored under that log-in has been deleted. Its not pleasant.

If security is not an issue, store the images etc in a separate directory under C: (C:\images) as an example, they will not be lost if logins go bad.

Data stored under the Documents and Settings..../My Document paths may be secure from others logging in, but are in danger of being lost if logins are deleted or corrupt.

Any data stored on the Hard Drive has no guarantee of permanence.
    I have lost 3 Hard Drives in 2 years, but I back up regularly, so nothing was lost.

3. EvileYe

EvileYe

Have you tried a search of your hard drive for the missing files ?

Click Start/Search then select Pictures Music and Video and then select Pictures and Photo's then hit Search.

I know this is a bit late, but it is always a good idea to back up any important data BEFORE you attempt any reload of windows.

Edit: Another option if you can't find your photo's is to use a Data recovery program to try and recover your files. Do a search on Google for Data Recovery Programs, there are a lot out there but I can't recommend any as I haven't used them.

4. mobo

mobo

You can do an emergency repair install of xp as long as the cd regognizes the system exists. can you fill me in on the process you undertook to reload xp ? Also right click on the start button and look for the user that those pics were under.

5. timbuk62

timbuk62 Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help.

I booted from the CD rom drive with the restore CD and just done a normal install over the existing os.

Thanks again.

6. mobo

mobo

At any time did you select format with ntfs or fat 32 ?

7. timbuk62

timbuk62 Thread Starter

No, I chose to keep existing stucture and not format

8. mobo

mobo

Then a search like I explained above should locate the pics. They should be under the user. Right click start and select explore. click on local disk (c) then documents and settings and the user that they were saved by.

9. timbuk62

timbuk62 Thread Starter

Cheers, thanks a million, I'll try that when I get home.

10. mobo

mobo

Let me know how things work out , unless you formatted then that should work as it did for me.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!