1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost my network connection...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by silas, Dec 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. silas

silas Thread Starter

Hi,

I have a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router at my computer and a Linksys Wireless-G 2.4 ghz USB Adapter connected to my wife's computer (both Dell Dimensions) which is in an adjacent room. We're both using WinXP Home and we access the 'net via Comcast Cable.

Today, when my wife tried to go online, the following window appeared: "Verizon Online- Denial of Service" at the URL "http://noaccess.verizon.net/noaccess/index.html".

We have never used Verizon as an ISP. I think it was the default service on the computer when we bought it but we've always connected through Comcast.

I did a "release & renew" of the IP address and the network icon shows we're connected with good signal strength. It just seems her computer has lost the Comcast connection. I even tried installing my original Comcast Installation disk on her PC but the Wizard is unable to find an Internet connection.

I'm at a loss and would appreciate any assistance.

silas

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    can you restore the PC to before it happened

start>
    programs>
    accessories>
    system tools>
    system restore>

also post and IPCONFIG /ALL

have you run a virus / spyware scan

3. Billy Bobby8

Billy Bobby8

Do you have an Anti-Virus running or a firewall by chance? If so, disable them, and try that.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    If you have encryption enabled, try w/o encryption until you get a successful session.

First determine if the problem PC is really communicating with the router when it claims to be connected.

To open a Command Window: Start - Run – cmd (command in 98SE) - OK

To determine a computer's IP address and router's IP address: open a Command Window and type
    ipconfig /all

The "Gateway" is the router's IP address.

Now for some troubleshooting. Following is how to use ping to test for communication with your router, the internet, and the internet with symbolic name.

1. On the PC open a Command window and type
    ping IProuter (where IProuter is the IP address of the router)

Do you get Replies, or do you get packets lost?

IF you got replies,
    2. ping 66.94.234.13 (or any other internet address you know)

If you got replies,
    3. ping www.yahoo.com (or any other internet name)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/530826

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice