1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved Lost my Outlook contacts (again!)

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by cuttlefish, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cuttlefish

cuttlefish Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ian
    Geeeez, I can never leave well enough alone sometimes!

I use Office 365 with it's Outlook application and after fiddling with "things" and playing with iCloud, all my nicely tailored Contacts have gone!

Shoulda remembered "if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Anyhow, I can still access them via iCloud and I also restored them to Outlook via a backup but they are not the ones I usually use i.e. I had created photos and icons against each of the names and it looked great …………… until now!

Definitely didn't delete anything so the wretched things must be in my PC somewhere I guess?

Help!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    I have been using Outlook since Outlook 98 which was free and now using 365. I have never lost my contacts.
    Are you sure that you did not change to using the "Address Book", they are two different items?

3. cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    Ummmmm, could be .... when I go to Account Settings and then look under Address Book it says:

"Outlook Address Book" ............................................................MAPI

This is where the data File apparently lives.............?

C:\Users\idf_000\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\[email protected]

To make my total ignorance more visible to everybody............... under the Account Settings I also have iCloud (not default) with the greyed out wording "Not Available" although I can access it quite easily via icloud.com, guess that is pretty normal!

I wonder what file extension I would have to search for to find my missing Outlook? .pst? .ost?

No way I have deleted it, just mislaid it or hopefully the wrong setting somewhere?

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated!

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    Are you using and "Exchange server" for your Outlook?

It uses a OST file while a local uses PST files.

5. cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    Thanks DaveA, no, I've never ever used Exchange from Day One way, always been an MS Office guy with Outlook.

I did do a search on my PC for the extension .ost (including hidden files) but nothing came up and I guess that is bad?

Thing is when I was messing about (please don't ask me why!) the Outlook Contacts simply disappeared, no way I deleted anything so somehow, somewhere they original contacts file is hiding from me.

Gotta be under settings surely ………………..

After having imported an older backup successfully, I am a bit concerned that it has overwritten the one I am searching for! Would that be possible?

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    If you were messing around and selected the "Address Book", then yes the "Contacts" will disappear. As the Address book just may be empty.

Give us a screen shot of what you get when you open your "Contacts"

7. cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    I won't keep messing you about on this one as at day's end as all I have lost is the nice pretty contacts wherein I had attached an icon photo to each! As an aside on the Address Book - you can see where the selected address book is "Contacts (This Computer only) There is another entry in the the same menu box titled with my email addy like "[email protected] ......." If I select that all the contact entries disappear so obviously empty!

Now I'm back to sqúare one being the ordinary look!

Three Snips here if they are any good?

Many thanks for your advices ............

Capture.jpg Capture1.jpg Capture2.jpg

8. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    YES, you are using Address Book, not the built in Contacts.
    If you were to read your screen, you are using a IMAP type of email service and the address book should be there, but you are looking at the Local address book and not the one on the server.

What do you see if you click the "Outlook Address Book" tab?

9. cuttlefish

First Name:
    Ian
    ......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

It has TWO entries under the Address Book down arrow:

1. My straight email address like [email protected] and obviously nothing there 'cos when I click on it the contacts in the lower section vanish instantly.

2. The second choice is: "Contacts (This Computer Only)" and this throws up all my contacts OK except they aren't the doctored up ones with all the icons/pics against the various names!
    The "Show this folder as an email address book" has the check box ticked but also greyed out. it will apparently let me type in a new entry so if i could find the "missing outlook file"maybe I could type that into this space I wonder?

I've scoured the PC for .ost including hidden files but not a thing comes up ...................

If I go to File x Settings x Account Settings + right click on (2) above I get a menu with two headers, one simply says GENERAL that has nothing much in it whilst the second says - Outlook Address Book - and shows the same as (2) above but if I click on that, it also adds on my email addy as well!

e.g. Contacts (This Computer Only) - [email protected]

Think I am losing the plot!

Thanks once more!

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216181

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice