1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost 'n Space

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Midnyt, Oct 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Midnyt

Midnyt Guest Thread Starter

A couple of days ago, I got a 60Gb hard drive to go with my 80Gb.
    The 80 was working perfectly,and I had previously installed another drive with it,, with no problem, so, it seemed quite simple to just install this new one.
    AS it was a new drive I had to format it, which I thought I did. Unfortunately I messed up really BIG, because I formatted the 80 Gb, which wiped out what was on it,, which was about 50-54Gb.

That was annoying enough, but checking in the Device Manager,
    and through my Computer etc, I now find that I've only got 7.85 Gb total on each drive. So together that makes about 15.7 Gb, so my question is,, any ideas where the missing 120 + Gb has got to? I'm wondering, if, when I get up to the 'limit' of 7.85 Gb on any of the drives,will the drive be FULL, or will I be able to continue till the actual amount is reached.? Surely 120+ Gb can't go missing just like that,, can it? as I accidentally formatted the wrong drive, then I would have thought that the drive would revert back to it's original setting of 80Gb,, and certainly not 7.85GB.

Is there any Hope ??

My system is,
    1.67 Ghz
    Win XP,
    256 Mb Ram,
    Western Digital Caviar 80Gb and 60 Gb HDs
    IE 6
    Microsoft Office 2000

2. thib4

thib4

some computers will not recognize a harddrive above 8.something gig
    you will need to format the harddrives with the utilities disk that came with the harddrive
    it will give options of how big the harddrive partitions should be
    you can make the harddrive up to full capacity

3. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Hi and welcome ! How old is the MB that contains that 1.67Gb CPU ? I ask cuz it seems that one that would support a CPU of that speed; would not be plagued by a Bios limitation of 8Gb. On the other hand....., as thib4 said, this could be the case. Perhaps you had what they call "Drv Overlay Softwr" installed that overcomes the 8Gb limitation, which got deleted when you formatted the wrong drv. So you'l hav to use the installation utility that should hav come with the 80GB disk. If both drv's are from the same manufacturer then u should be able to use the utility that came with the 60Gb assuming that it is newer than the 80Gb disk.

4. Midnyt

Ok, the MB is very recent,, I got it about 2-3 months ago. The first drive I installed was the 80 Gb (not 8Gb), then later on, I installed the 45Gb from my other computer. They worled perfectly,, except that the 45Gb had 98Se installed on it, so I was running 98SE and XP on the same computer. As far as a Installation disc coming with the Western Digital drives,, I didn't get one with either disc.
    I suppose on that basis I could contact WD about a installation disc, but would that help in retrieving the missing/lost 120+ Gb?
    Also,, by installing the disc, if there is one available for either drive,, wouldn't that just delete what is on the drive now?

I got both the drives within the space of a month. I just wondered,, As the computer managed OK with 120 Gb installed, would having 140 Gb installed affect it to the extent of deleting all that mucg space on the drives?
    I just assumed that if the computer wouldn't manage 140Gb, then it wouldn't accept that much, but just 'stop' at it's limit.

Thanks

5. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

So the 80Gb drv that got accidentally reformatted had XP on it ?
    I understand that the drv is an 80Gb and that now it is only showin 8Gb.

Do you hav any Disc Recovry utility's that can run from floppy's or, bootable cd such as, Norton Utility's ?

As far as the install utility from the manufact's of the drv's; u'll hav to download them from the WD website at their tech support link.

6. Midnyt

Yep,, the 80Gb that got formatted (accidentally) had XP on it, and now,, showing less than 8Gb.:confused:

No rebootable discs for the XP. The 98SE,, yes,but not for the XP, as yet. I'll checvk WD's site and get a download of their Install Utility, and see what happens with that.
    Thanks.
    One thing though,, if they do the installation discs, then why the heck , don't they send them as part of the package with their drives??

7. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

--I believ they do if u purchase the retail ver. I know Maxtor does.
    Chances r u may hav purchased an OEM or "Bare Drive" from WD. Did you ?

8. Midnyt

I bought the two WD drives from the same place as I got the Maxtor 45Gb, and with the Maxtor, I got the Installation CD Rom with it,, but,nothing with the Western Digital,, just the drive,, and no instruction manual etc.
    I checked the settings on the top of the drives to figure out which way to go for the Slave and the Master. Guess you could say I bought the 'Bare' drives, seeing that there wasn't anything else with them,, but, maybe that's why they were that much cheaper than I expected them to be.

9. Rusty1952

Rusty1952

Yes Midnyt, usually the Bare Drives are a bit cheaper. If u hav any trouble with the jumper config they (WD) have good info w/ diagram illustrations of how to set the jumpers @ their website.

Usually when i buy Hardrives I buy retail versions w/ a rebate offer attached. All my retail Hardrive purchases hav been with Maxtor. So I hav no direct experience with purchasing WD retail versions.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice