1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Netscape emails

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Lucymh, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lucymh

Lucymh Thread Starter

:eek: Comcast tech support assisted me in sending email ~ server error msg came up. I had tried to access my email while @ work & changed my password. Tech said I could not do that without contacting comcast. She had me ERASE my profile & create a new one in order to send email. Now all my email folders are gone.

I had backed them up under netscape/user/profile in explorer in anticipation of formatting my hard drive soon. My problem is I cannot retrieve them into my email program.

Anyone who can assist me ~ help will be greatly appreciated.

2. hewee

hewee

Well comcast tech support does not always even know of the troubles they have and if there server was down and not working right your would get a error like that and that's there trouble and not your PC. So remember that the next time and give it a day to get fixed before looking to see if the trouble really is on your PC.

But it's good that they helped because most will tell you they don't support Netscape and they will not even help you on with it.

Ok go here to NETSCAPE & MOZILLA SOLUTIONS.
    http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/index6.html

Profiles Folder Location for Netscape 7.x / Mozilla 1.x / Firefox0.x / Thunderbird0.x
    http://home.att.net/~cherokee67/ns7profloc.html

Ok lets say you have 98 and you made a backup of.
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Lucymh\c5r8pvv2.slt
    Now you made a new profile and it is.,..
    C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\Lucymh\c3i26ob4.slt

You can not see your email if you coped back the profile folder because the the new profile is in the c3i26ob4.slt folder and your old profile was it the c5r8pvv2.slt folder.
    With nerscape 4 you never had the .slt folder that changed names like it does with netscaoe 6 and 7.

So open up netscape email and go up to Edit and down to " Mail & Newsgroups Account Setting" and click on it. The " Mail & Newsgroups Account Setting ' will open. Now click on the " Server Settings " on the left side and then look over on the right side and your see at the buttom " Local directory " and a place below that for the address path to your email. Check it to make sure that it is point to the right folder.

Like C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ Lucymh\???????.slt\Mail
    or with Norton AV it would be something like C:\WINDOWS\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\ Lucymh\???????.slt\Mail\pop3.norton-1.antivirus because norton mat add a folder.

3. Lucymh

Lucymh Thread Starter

Hewee,

I thank you for your help in retrieving my emails in Netscape.
    The server settings directed me to comcast.net and I had saved everything under attbi.com. It would not let me change the server settings path ~ so I went into explorer and copied the mail folders into the comcast path.

Have a nice day and keep helping others. :)

4. hewee

hewee

Your welcome.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/327369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice