1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost network adapter

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jemitdan, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jemitdan

jemitdan Thread Starter

Hi Tech Guy!

My Gateway Laptop lost power yesterday afternoon and shut down unexpectedly. When I logged back on, I had no internet connection. This has happened before, this past July and I was able to get it back after a quick search. Basically, the Wifi is GONE! It doesn't show up at all when I go to Network & Sharing.
    I've tried a restore to a previous point which doesn't work. I went to Device mgr and uninstalled & installed the "adapters" but I'm not even sure what I'm seeing is the Wifi adaptor. I tried going to the Intel website to update the driver or install a new driver but then I get an error message that it's not compatible with Windows 10 (they only have the Windows 7 version).

I'm connected by ethernet right now.
    When I go to Network Adapters in Device mgr, I only see "Broadcam Netlink(TM) Gigabit Ethernet.
    I used to see "Intel(R) Centrino(R) WiMax 6250 - but it's not there anymore....
    Any help would be appreciated!!

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    How did the power fail, battery ran out, mains power failure or what ?

What model Gateway laptop is it ? Please provide the full model details.

Also please run this and paste the output text into your next reply :- https://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

3. jemitdan

jemitdan Thread Starter

Very old laptop, needs to be plugged in all the time - power plug came unplugged.
    Model # New90, NV59C series

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.4
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 370 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 37 Stepping 5
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 3766 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, 1755 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: 452 GB (336 GB Free);
    Motherboard: Gateway, NV59C
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated

4. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    In Device Manager is there an Unknown Device or similar entry ?

5. jemitdan

jemitdan Thread Starter

I've attached a screenshot of my device manager.

Attached Files:

6. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    Ok, try this. Click this link and download the driver from Dell that should work with your Wireless card :- https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=T3GD6

Run the downloaded EXE file, click on 'Extract without installing' and make a note of the folder the files are extracted to.

In Device Manager right-click on 'Wimax network adapter' then click on 'Update driver software' then on 'Browse my computer' and click the Browse button and go to the folder you extracted the files to, click on it then on OK then click Next and the driver should install.

7. jemitdan

jemitdan Thread Starter

Hi again!! I followed your instructions and it said that the best drivers for your device are already installed. But when I go back to device manager, the Intel Centrino Wimax 6250 is there with a little yellow exclamation mark.....

8. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If you double click on the 6250 entry in Device Manager what does it say under Device Status ?

9. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    Right click on it and choose Properties. What is the error does it say?

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1218267

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice