1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost OE address book

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by DanielLee, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DanielLee

DanielLee Thread Starter

Hi,
    I just updated a computer running windows 98 with IE4 and Outlook Express 4.

When I updated to IE 6 service pack 1 I lost the address book and emails. The emails I can live without but I want the address book. Is there a way to get it? I have tried quite a few of the tips listed on various sites with no results. The address book must be somewhere.

I did a search for .wab files and I got the following results in the windows root directory

User.bad
    User.dat
    User.nu6

Are these the right files? How do I get them into OE 6?

Any assistance appreciated.

Daniel

2. Davey7549

Davey7549

Daniel
    How awful!
    Try this and see if it will works.

First create a new backup of your registry.
    Step 1- Start\Run, type in scanregw and hit enter
    Step 2- Ignore the message that a backup already exists for today and let it create a new backup
    Note: That creates a Rbxxx.cab backup file that you can restore back from using scanreg /restore

Now boot into DOS and type in Scanreg /Restore and hit enter. Note space between g and forward slash.

Select date prior to update to IE6.

After completion restart system and see if files are present in OE. If so Export your Wab file somewhere for safe keeping.

Now do another scanreg /restore and use the backup you just created to bring you back to current registry.

Use the Import function to bring Wab into OE6.

Long shot but I hope that works since it is all I can think of.

Dave

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/116519

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice