1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Office 2007 Product Key

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by snailshell, Sep 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. snailshell

snailshell Thread Starter

A received a copy of Office 2007 Professional from Microsoft when they ran the Power of One promotion a few years back. Microsoft then mailed a key and receipt, along with instructions of where to go to download office (no CD was mailed), all in a manila envelope, which I kept. Along the way, a family member threw away the entire envelope while cleaning out a drawer. I still have Office installed on my computer, but would like to reformat my hard drive. I was wondering if there was any way to retrieve the key from my computer, seeing as Office costs around $500. Thanks!

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
  3. JohnWilson

JohnWilson

Do a google for Magic Jelly Bean (I kid you not!)

It will tell you in an instant.

4. slurpee55

slurpee55

all, this is a violation of the Forum rules - we are not to assist in such things, I think, per this from the rules page
    Passwords - Please do not ask for assistance with forgotten passwords and/or bypassing them. As there is no way to verify the actual situation and/or intentions, no assistance will be provided and any such threads will be closed.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

I don't see a password issue here ;)

6. bomb #21

bomb #21

Agreed. How about a "pirated software" issue?

(no offence intended to the OP)

7. slurpee55

slurpee55

Microsoft requires the following:
    The product CD-ROM
    The computer on which you want to install Office
    The readable parts of your original product key (if available)
    The ProductID information in the registry

They don't provide info on how to find a 2007 key (that I could find), but here is info on how to for 2003 and earlier
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/help/HA011508341033.aspx

8. JohnWilson

JohnWilson

That's exactly what MSoft need and Magic Jelly Bean will tell you both the ID and product key for this purpose. You can't pirate the activation with this info!

;o)

9. slurpee55

slurpee55

Well, given the above info, then the poster doesn't meet their requirements. Could always call MS, but....

10. valis

valis Moderator

that's my recommendation; call MS and explain the situation to them. As the software is already on your machine, the magical jelly bean will tell you the activation code for that software.

Those are about the only two options I see.

11. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    James
    FYI, Microsoft does have downloads for Office and such available. Even with educational places like my school, i had access to download the ISO for Windows with a key included.

Nothing wrong with what the OP is asking for ;) If you ahve the CD but need your key, those two programs are OK to use.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/747637

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice