Lost one year of e-mail in my inbox

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

vic12075

Hello,

I'm having same problem exact problem as germon. I'm using Outlook Express 6, and have Windows XP Pro. Lately, every time I close my OE, it asks me if I want to compress my messages, which I haven't, but a few minutes ago, I used the Find option to look for a message, went back to my Inbox... and all messages from 07/2007 up to date, are gone.... I looked in my Recycle Bin, and there is nothing there. I also searched for .bak files, as suggested to germon, and there is no Inbox.bak.... where else can I look?
Please help.... :confused:

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Hi vic12075

Welcome to Tech Support Guy Forums!

To avoid confusion, I have moved your post to its own thread.

Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 installed?

If you look in the Message Store for Outlook Express do you see an file called: Inbox(1).dbx?

Edit: I see from your computer specs that you have Service Pack 3 installed.

TerryNet

Terry
If the data is important to you surely you have a copy somewhere other than the hard drive, such as external disk, CD, USB flash drive, etc. Look for it there.

vic12075

No, did a search, and I only have the Inbox.dbx. Wish I had an updated backup, last one I did was on 12/07...

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
I am afraid you still, will not locate an Inbox(1).dbx file, but try it again this way:
Look for the file in the Message Store, not using Search.

Locate the directory where Outlook Express keeps it's Message Store:
Tools > Options > Maintenance tab > Store Folder
Note the directory location, then Cancel out of the window.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to that directory.
Look in this directory for an Inbox(1).dbx file.

I have experienced that same thing when using Find, on large folders, in Outlook Express.
The messages just disappeared and nothing I did would bring them back.

Keep the Inbox empty, move messages you want to keep to folders of your own creation in Outlook Express.

DBXpress might help, but there is no guarantee.
It is also not free: DBXpress
You would need to run DBXpress on the Inbox.dbx file before Compacting.

With the installation of Service Pack 2, a backup of the Message Store is created, in the Recycle Bin, when Compact Messages is run.

A couple years ago, a member claimed that System Restore, restored their messages.
Depending on the most recent restore point, it shouldn't hurt to try, since it can be undone.

vic12075

I tried it, but no luck, what I notice is that my Outbox is about 24,000KB, and have nothing pending to send out.... is that normal?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Tried what, exactly?

24,000 KB would be around 23 MB, normal? Is that the size it is, normally?

vic12075

look for the Inbox(1).dbx, but could not find it.... that's when I noticed the size of the Outbox.... I don't know if it is like that all the time, but I have no messages pending... does it keep track or memory of the messages sent out?

EAFiedler

Retired Moderator
Yes, the file grows as messages are added to it. But it does not shrink when messages are deleted or moved from the folder.

Compacting reclaims the wasted space.

Did you try a System Restore?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online