1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost operating system

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cuba102, Nov 6, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. cuba102

cuba102 Thread Starter

Recently installed Windows 10. My cmos battery had been failing for a while. Window 10 was still doing updates, powering off and on pc. I know that a bad battery will not keep the correct time in cmos. The last time the pc shut down to restart it went into black screen only. I'm able to go into bios F2 and F10, but not F8 for safe mode into windows. I put in a new battery but still no windows 10. Can a bad cmos battery cause loss of operation system / black screen? That's what it seems to me but not sure. My first boot in bios is ssd, 2nd is cd. But when I hit F10 it showing CD as first boot option and SSD as 2nd so I changed ssd to 1st boot and nothing is there I get black screen with a blink small vertical line at the top left corner. I think I lost my windows 10 and have to reinstall it again due to cmos battery failure. Please let me know. Thank you.

2. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    A dead cmos battery would not cause the lose of an operating system. The BIOS would return to defaults and if you made any changes in the BIOS, you'd have to re-do them.
    When you look in the BIOS is the ssd showing?

How large is your ssd?

3. lunarlander

lunarlander

If your PC failed during a Windows Update, then you may have to reinstall Windows. Go download MS Media Creation Tool. Run it and it will Generate a Windows setup DVD or USB memory stick. Boot that and do the install.

4. cuba102

cuba102 Thread Starter

No changes were made to bios. In the bios I'm still able to choose from SSD or CD/DVD for boot. SSD is first boot, no problem showing in the bios. Size of ssd, 1TB. But again, when I hit the F10 key when rebooting, the two option display pops up with CD/DVD put as 1st option as if to reinstall windows and SSD as my 2nd and if I put ssd as first option in F10 screen option I get black screen with small blinking line on top left corner, but under Bios F1 boot options are set correctly SSD AS 1st. If you have in the Bios F2 showing a SSD to boot first it should be the same in F10 and it not doing that. I am going to download windows 10 again. Mind you, I don't have the disc for it, a friend installed it for me and it was working, I do have my own working key retail key, not oem. I bought a flash drive but wanted to upload windows to it when updated finished installing correctly, BAD move on my part. Updates for windows version 1803 and 1903 kept failing, then I ran trouble shoot in windows setting and it came up FIXED with green check marks, I then rebooted pc and went back to windows settings / history updates and version 1803 and 1903 showed up again as failed, [email protected]#!!. I rebooted pc again and it came up with the black screen of death. I did read in a article the I will post here after this one, on dead cmos batteries and what can happen and one, lost data, drivers, etc... was on the list, but still wasn't sure about it, Could it be gpu or power supply trying to rule out the cause of the black screen and lost operating system. Can't even use safe mode F8, nothing comes up. I will find that article and post it. Thanks you.

5. cuba102

cuba102 Thread Starter

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Did you manage to create the Windows 10 setup media, DVD or USB memory stick ? That will enable you to install the Latest version of Win 10. MS makes new versions of Win 10 twice a year.

RUN the MS Media Creation Tool. Do Not just copy it to the USB memory stick. RUN IT ( ie double click it ) and it will GENERATE a dvd or usb memory stick with the new windows setup. The creation tool will ask you to put in a blank usb memory stick for it to put the windows setup onto.

After the win 10 setup memory stick is generated. Boot with it, and press your F10 and it should give you 3 choices : your CD drive, your ssd drive, and the usb memory sitck. If you did not generate the usb memory stick correctly, it won't show up as a boot option.

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Did you set the correct Date and Time in the bios ? If not try that first. Also if there were any custom settings in the bios set those as well.

I don't think the F10 boot device menu always has the same order as set in the bios.
    F8 doesn't work in Windows 10.

What motherboard do you have ?

8. cuba102

cuba102 Thread Starter

Thank you guys, I have new usb memory stick to download windows 10 on , that will be tomorrow. My brother has a windows disc but i think downloading the lastest version online onto flash drive would be best. What do you think? I did set the correct time in the bios but still no windows. Prior to windows 10 My F10 would always show hard drive as first boot option. You'll laugh how long I've had my pc for 2008 or 2009. It a Gateway FX6800-01e I was still running Vista, Lol so now I put extra 3gb of memory could have gone higher but a total of 6gb works fine for now. Replaced hard drive to ssd 1tb, power supply 430w. I'll leave specs of pc on here. Some people can believe it lasted me this long. Yesterday I put fresh thermal paste it was running at 28c, 29c. In the bios. I figured seen I'm changing out the cmos battery, I should also put new thermal paste. Again Thanks for all your input, I greatly appreciate it. Here are the specs / motherboardhttp://www.ascendtech.us/gateway-fx6800-01e-core-i7-motherboard_i_mb7gatwtbgm0110.aspx

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  9. plodr

plodr

First Name:
    Liz
    I'm currently posting from an eMachine purchased in 2009. I use it daily.

10. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm using a Dell Inspiron 1545 laptop to type this, they were originally released in 2009 although this particular one was made in 2010.
    I've upgraded it with extra ram and a faster cpu. I also changed the screen from CCFL to LED backlight, the motherboard supports both just needed a different cable to use LED.
    I mostly use Windows 7 but it can run 10 quite well too.

There's no fun in using modern stuff. ;)

EDIT : back to the topic, follow lunarlander's post #6 for making the Usb stick to install 10 with.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1235300

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice