Lost OS/2 Keyboard, USB functions

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rsmigel

I recently have been getting startup errors (BIOS) on my ASUS A7V266-E motherboard when booting up w/WIN98SE (fully patched). At startup, the keyboard cannot be found, however, after hitting F1 to skip the error (on the keyboard!), everything is OK, and continues to remain OK.

I suspect that my USB problems are related, as I cannot use any of my USB devices since about that time.

I disabled all USB ports once in Safe Mode and re-enabled when in the full WIN98 environment. No fix.

I removed the keyboard (MS Natural) and let the system find it upon the next clean boot. The OS had no problem finding it, but the BIOS hung after the next hard boot. No fix.

I disabled the USB Legacy Support in the BIOS. No fix.

Next steps are reloading windows (ugh!) or reflashing the BIOS (UGH!).

There was a note describing this problem in the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article #250635, but no fix suggested other than a "workaround patch" which I cannot find.

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Rick - SC

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What error message do you get? No keyboard found?

rsmigel

Award Plug&Play BIOS Extension v1.0A

Detecting Primary Master: ...
Detecting Primary Slave: ...
Detecting Secondary Master: ...
Detecting Secondary Slave: ...

Keyboard Error or no Keyboard present.

Press F1 to continue or DEL to change settings

(system waits for response)

------------------

I don't believe that any of the WIN98 OS software is yet read.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
What happens if you DEL into bios, don't change anything, save changes and continue on.........

erm this may sound obvious but have you tried any differet input devices?

When you flashed the bios was it the latest version?

Is there any chance you could have fried your motherboard through handeling it many times without proper electrostatic protection?? (grounding)

handeling you motherboard without proper grounded can fry certain chips like the ones dedicated to input devices, and it's a gradual thing. They dont just go pop.

It probably isn't this but bear it in mind.

rsmigel

What happens if you DEL into bios, don't change anything, save changes and continue on.........

tried that no luck. I even tried to toggle the relevant switches from auto to on (or off) to force the hardware to do what I wanted. No success.
------
erm this may sound obvious but have you tried any differet input devices?

All my devices are dead: PocketPC port; Microsoft Precision Wheel and Nikon Camera. All worked a few weeks back.

I tried putting my keyboard into the USB slot (it will go PS/2 or USB) and it failed to work in USB.
-----
When you flashed the bios was it the latest version?

I haven't tried that yet due to the risk of doing it wrong. It will be my last step along with burning the new 4in1_437 chipset firmware.
-----
Is there any chance you could have fried your motherboard through handeling it many times without proper electrostatic protection?? (grounding)

I haven't been "in the box" in over a year. I'm running with a backup battery with good surge protection. Still, static could be a possible cause.

I was going to purchase another hard drive and reload WIN98SE on it from scratch after replacing my current drive. This would eliminate the hardware vs. software question I still have. Is there an easier way to positively check the hardware???
-----
I have been scouring the "Microsoft Knowledge Base" and tried a few of their tips:

#216069: Removed all ghost devices using Device Mgr in Safe Mode. Removed and then reinstalled all USB Controllers and Devices via extensive editing of the Registry. No luck.

#240075: Added patch to fix AMD/VIA potential chipset problems. No luck.

Removed DirectX9.0 and reinstalled DirectX8.0. No luck.

My next plan is to reload WIN98SE over the existing operating system. I use GoBack 3.0 (a great program) so I can "goback" if I get in trouble.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Try a different keyboard if you haven't already.

Also does your keyboard "flash" all three lights when you first turn on the pc?

If not your controller or keyboard might be toasty.

Another trick is turn on the computer with no keyboard attached then attach it later, sometimes that works.

You could also try to reset the cmos and see if that accomplishes anything.

I did have a problem sort of similar to this in that one system started saying the IRQ to my video card was not configured and said hit F1 to continue. Its been that way for over a year, works fine but nothing changes it, tried ISA PCI and AGP video without change, resetted cmos no change, updated bios, no change.

Good luck to you

rsmigel

Try a different keyboard if you haven't already.

I have a second keyboard... tried that w/o success. It worked great after I F1'd past the BIOS stop point.

Also does your keyboard "flash" all three lights when you first turn on the pc?

Yes, always has.

If not your controller or keyboard might be toasty.

Is there a hardware test for the controller?

Another trick is turn on the computer with no keyboard attached then attach it later, sometimes that works.

I'll try that tonight.

You could also try to reset the cmos and see if that accomplishes anything.

How do I reset the CMOS?

Thanks for the tips. My next course of action will be...

1) Try your keyboard suggestion
2) Reload WIN98 over existing OS
3) Flash BIOS and chipset
4) Reload OS on another, bare Hard Disk saving original HD; I could use more Gb anyway
5) Purchase new motherboard

rsmigel

Tried the following... still no USB.

1) Loaded new VIA 4in1 chipset firmware
2) Updated BIOS
3) Removed duplicate ("ghost devices") and old hardware in Safe Mode
4) Removed two serial ports to allow for IRQs to spread out
5) Tried to attach keyboard later; no difference

All VIA controllers and root hubs look OK in System Mgr.

I have had no luck steering the UBS to a single IRQ as USB Troubleshooter (a great site) has suggested. I should be possible now that I have two less Serial ports, but I can't force them manually.

I have not reloaded win98 but will probably buy a new 60Gb hard drive to load the OS onto fresh.

Is there any good way to test USB for hardware problems, other than purchasing a new motherboard?

rsmigel

Another post suggesting clearing the CMOS to fix the "USB can't read device" problem. I have an ASUS A7V266-E and the manual (or web site) doesn't explain how to do that.

How do I erase CMOS and what are the risks?

Thx,

Rick

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
The board also has a fail-safe booting mechanism. If, for any reason, you cannot load Windows and have to switch the machine off, it will then next restart by automatically clearing CMOS by itself, thereby ensuring that BIOS defaults are loaded. This feature is quite handy if you push the board too far.

Cut and paste from here:

http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=316

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
You might try pulling the battery on the motherboard....leave it out overnight.....you may want to pop into the bios setup and write everything down so you know what settings you had prior.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online