1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Outlook inbox

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Chris Robinson, Jan 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chris Robinson

Chris Robinson Thread Starter

I had a crash using XP and on rebooting the system activated chkdsk. On opening outlook, I found that all my folders had been emptied. I looked in the recycle bin and there they were. I restored them, but they do not appear in my Outlook.

How can I get outlook to incorporate these files? {I believe that on restoring them they have been saved back into a folder in settings etc, but I think the folder is hidden?

Any suggestions please?

2. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Have you confirmed that Outlook is using the original PST data file? It may simply have started using a new blank one.

3. Chris Robinson

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm not at all sure how to do what you suggest!

4. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

The default location for your Outlook file would be something like the:

C:\Documents and Settings\USER\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook directory, where USER is replace by your actual USER ID.

Generally I like to configure Outlook to use a data file where the location is a bit easier to remember and find, like right in My Documents. But that will be for later.

For now see if there is any file in that directory.

If not you will need to search your hard drive for *.pst files. May need to configure the Windows Explorer Search to search for hidden and system files.

5. heavybob

heavybob

here is the path to my PST
    C:\Documents and Settings\rsaylors\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

6. Bob Cerelli

Bob Cerelli

Note the files, dates and sizes of the files that are in that directory.

Start Outlook
    Right click on Personal Folders
    Properties
    Advanced button
    Note the file you are using now.

For example, if you are using a file dated today, but there is a larger pst file from a few days ago, that should be one you might try opening.

But for now let's get some of the details

7. Iceworx

Iceworx

8. Chris Robinson

I have found all the files inthe directory you outlined. When I restored files from the recylce bin, its put these back there as well. I've looked at the info on Inbox repair tool and as it says to do there, have changed the file extensions from *.bat to *.pst.

I can't find a copy of the repair tool on my system (XP). and I was trying to 'import' the old files into my (new) outlook. However, when I look in File - Import there is not the option to 'import from another program or file' - the options are just about address book,messaging, and mail & news account settings.

Thanks for your help
    Chris

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536531

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice