1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Outlook...is there anything I can do?????

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by gpotts1636, Apr 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gpotts1636

gpotts1636 Thread Starter

In the midst of experiencing a virus attack I shut my computer down and somehow Outlook was corrupted and it seems it is lost. When I tried to reopen it said it was opening Outlook for the first time. I stopped it and went to see if I could back up the files but only found a small bit that could not be all of my emails and contacts. This is a huge loss for me, it was my work email and contacts, I have my own business and this is catastrophic. Is there any thing I can do or am I out of luck? I have not attempted to restart Outlook subsequently but the machine has been on and off and am in the middle of cleaning the viruses off. Thanks in advance....

2. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    What version of Outlook are you running?

Have windows search everywhere (including system and hidden folders) for file names ending in .PST. If it doesn't find any or they are real small, then it may be time to try some file recovery software.

3. gpotts1636

I did the search and they were small...so I am ready for file recovery software....recommendations?

Thanks!!!!!!

4. gpotts1636

Just realized that I may not have searched hidden files so doing that now....but I think the recommendations on the recovery software is going to be needed...

Thanks!

5. gpotts1636

Here is the screen shot of the search, did not remember seeing the 1.7 GB file before...which seems big...but I had an unbelievable amount of stuff there....was always running into trouble with size limitations....is that big enough to be what I am looking for?

Thank you...

Attached Files:

6. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    The three files showing up in the C:\Documents and Settings\... path are most likely your Outlook e-mail and contacts files. Yes, a few years worth of e-mails on an account with lots of activity can easily hit close to 2 GB of content. You may want to eventually look at maybe creating a second PST file for storing older e-mails.

It looks like you have some kind of Symantec Norton utility that is doing some backups of your Outlook files. I am not at all familiar with how that software works and how to restore things that it has backed up.

I need to think about the best way to proceed from here and I will be away for a little while. Maybe someone else here can help while I am out.

7. gpotts1636

I was thinking 1.7 GB was not big eniugh to be it but you know better than I. As far as the Norton files, they are backed up on line I do believe. I paid to have the backup when I ran into trouble. I would think we could go ahead with the restore and have those files in case something went wrong...but I will await suggestions. I also do not know how to do it since when I did try to start Outlook it gave me the message that it was starting for the first time. Thanks!

8. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You could try creating a new profile in Outlook or reinstalling it.

9. gpotts1636

Is the 1.7 GB a lot for email? If we went ahead as you suggest does that preclude me from using a recovery program if those are not the files? I still have an icon on the desktop and can start it again as a new a first time start up....

Thanks...

10. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Back up the PST files to some other medium. Then try creating a new Outlook profile. If that doesn't work, reinstall Outlook. You can't fix or restore anything until you get the actual program working.

11. gpotts1636

Ok, sorry it took so long, but copied the files on to a disk. When you say complete a new profile I assuming I should go ahead and start Outlook again loading it as a first time, then you want me to set up Outlook with my email address as it was before?

Thanks....

12. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

13. gpotts1636

Ok, so my assuming is wrong, so let me ask so I don't get it wrong; do I set up the new profile with my old email address and connections, (i.e., the one I lost)?

Thanks...

14. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

You set up the profile with the data required to access your e-mail account. There's no "old" and "new" unless your e-mail provider changed.

15. gpotts1636

I am sorry if I am a little thick. But I am not following what you want me to do. You have told me not to open up Outlook via the start menu and instead I am to set-up a new profile via the control panel, which you seem to also have said not to use my old email address. Which address should I use? My account settings still have my old address and configuration....

Thanks....

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice