1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost partitions in Windows XP machine

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by roshgorg, Jun 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. roshgorg

roshgorg Thread Starter

Hello, I have got a problem with my Windows XP. I messed up my system.
    I don't know what actually happened. I have lost 2 partitions in my machine without actually doing anything.

My machine had a 5 GB partition of Linux OS. To delete that, I right clicked "My Computer" and select "Manage". And selected "Disk Management.
    In the Disk Management, I right clicked the Linux partition and clicked "Delete Volume". Here comes the problem. To my surprise, two other drives of 50 GB each were automatically deleted, which contained important files.

Is it possible to recover those partitions, together with its contents ?

Any help is well appreciated.

2. managed

managed Allan

3. roshgorg

roshgorg Thread Starter

In my case, the drives are not at all show in the My Computer. The Disk Management in the Control panel says hundred gb free space. Wil I be able to recover it ?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's why it's a good idea to use primary partitions when you can. If you use extended, logical partitions, they need to go when the original partition goes. You won't be able to recover the other 2 partitions unless you can first recover the deleted one.

You would have lost everything, anyway, when the drive failed if you have no backups, so it just happened sooner than it would have.

5. roshgorg

roshgorg Thread Starter

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

You can mark your thread "solved" if you are done with this thread.

7. managed

managed Allan

You're welcome. :)

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055395