Lost partitions on new HD

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rameam

I recently purchased a WD 160 g HD. After running Data Lifeguard Tools, partitioning the drive into 4 40 g drives, cloning (using PC Inspector Clone Maxx) my old 40 g HD onto what I thought was the first partition (the first one listed in My Computer = D:), and activating said partition, it booted fine. The problem is it only shows up as a 40 g HD in My Computer. When first booting up, when Windows reconfigures the drives, it's listed as something like 131 g's, which I suppose is a result of WinMe not recognizing drives over 139 g. :(

Can someone please tell me why Windows is not seeing the rest of the HD and the three 'lost' 40 g drives. Did Clone Maxx remove them? :confused:

I can always start over and redo the whole thing, but I was hoping someone might have a simple solution for this. (y)

I d/l Resize at zeleps.com (at the kind suggestion of SacsTC who was helping me in another thread), which is supposed to resize partitions, but I don't know if it will help in this situation. :rolleyes:

As always, any help will be greatly appreciated. :D

rameam

How do I go about doing it if the OS doesn't recognize them?

Go diskmanagment start>run> type in diskmgmt.msc and hit enter. You should see one heathy drive and three unallocated spaces. You need to create a logical drive in one of the partitions and format with ntfs. You may need to do this as three separate processes.

rameam

bigbear, when I type in diskmgmt.msc it says that windows cannot find it. Is there any other way to get to it?

Sorry never read the thread properly didn't spot you are using windows ME so not sure if it the same as XP try this.
Start> control panel>Administrative tools>Computer Management>Disk managment

rameam

I don't have Admin tools. Here is what I have. I hope it attaches.

Attachments

I don't think you have an option in ME to format within windows, if my memory serves me right it has to be done within DOS using a startup disc.
Before you go down that road the software that you used to create these partitions did it not give you an option to format after they were created?

rameam

The Data Lifeguard Tools cd that came with the HD, partitions, apparently formats, then copies files from your old HD to the new one (if you designate one of the partitions as a boot partition, which I did). After it finished doing that, it would not boot, so I moved all the files to the second partition, then used Clone Maxx to clone my old HD onto the first partition (I thought). It was then that I learned I had to activate the partition to make it bootable. It seems as though Clone Maxx has deleted the other partitions.

I don't really know what to do, but I guess I can try putting the DLT disk back in and see if it will do the trick.????

When you copied from old hard drive to the new, did you setup the new as master on the jumper settings?

rameam

There are two settings on the new HD: one for master if you have a slave, and one for master alone. I didn't realize this at first.

After running DLT, I also didn't know I had to activate the boot partition before it would boot, nor that there were two settings for master. It probably would have booted at that point if the boot partition was active.

It was only after cloning with Clone Maxx that I finally learned the boot partition must be made active, and that there were two settings for master.

I probably just need to start over and redo the whole thing. You think?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts