Lost PCI Ethernet Controller

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xico

Having a little difficulty get my PCI Ethernet Controller drivers. Aren't they supposed to be in the Windows 98 installation CD? My mobo is (I think) according to the CD NVidia series, and I thought the drivers would be on that disc. But they are there either. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Is this a built-in e'net controller? If so, the drivers should be on the CD that was included with the motherboard. If you don't have that CD, you should be able to download the proper drivers from Abit. If you can ID the e'net chip, you might also be able to download the correct drivers from the chipmaker (Intel, VIA, 3Com, Realtek, etc.).

On-board e'net chips were rare back when your Win98 CD was shipped, so I doubt that the drivers you need would be available. I just searched through some of the Win98 .CAB files, and there ARE drivers for some of the most common e'net controller chips (from the middle and late 90's) stored in them, but I have no way of knowing which driver you need, since you didn't identify the chip.

The NET7.CAB folder contains mostly DOS networking drivers, the NET8.CAB contains a mix of DOS and Win9.x networking drivers, and the NET9.CAB contains the Win9.x ones that wouldn't fit in the NET8.CAB folder; the drivers (and other files) normally display in alphabetical order, and the NET9.CAB file picks up where the NET8.CAB file leaves off. Surprisingly, the NET10.CAB folder doesn't contain ANY network drivers...

As old as those included drivers are, you're probably better off searching for the newest versions; no telling how many times they've been rewritten in the intervening years.

Which OS are you installing? Your sig mentions XP Pro, but I'm sure you realize that the drivers for XP Pro will probably be different from the Win9.x drivers, so please clarify that for us.

Don't know if I've really helped you here; if you can ID the chip / card you're using, along with the OS, we can research this further.

If the network card is integrated on to the motherboard then it will be on the motherboard driver CD. You should also be able to download from the Abit website if it's integrated.

What network card is it?

xico

Thanks for the information, especially on the Cab files.
Yeah, I'm giving confusing information. :eek: The puter I'm on now is an XP. The one I'm working on is a 98 on an 8GB HDD. I think it's a VIA mobo, and I've got 2 CDs. One a 2.2 and the other a 3.4. (The mobo on this rig is a Abit).

Since I was unable to get on the net, I pulled out of the mobo NIC (which I think is Realtek) and put in a D-Link card. I thought D-Link would have given me the drivers.
No soap.

Prior to this 8GB HDD, I had an 80 GB HDD as my C and a 120 as my D drive, and they were working fine. I really wanted to put a Linux on the machine, so I started fooling around with some 4 and 8GB HDDs that I had laying around. This one had a 98 already on it, so I booted it up, but couldn't get the drivers for the ethernet controller. (And I got the 98CD). That's why I thought that D-Link might have been the answer. Everything in Network seems okay. But I'm still not connecting.

Is it possible to connect to the net without using the ethernet controller? (I doubt it.)

Thanks for the information. I'll try to go to the Cab files, but I would have thought that that would have been automatic.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online