1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost periphials

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by amlost, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. amlost

amlost Thread Starter

Hello, I was coming up with the error that windows could not validate authentication - error code 0x80090006. Well, after looking around the net for awhile, i deceided to repair windows. I and started the process and came up with errors on the install, i looked up what to do about them and tried to follow something that included going thru bios and changing some files. I went to regedit.exe and entered. Clicked hkey_local_machine then went to file menu and clicked load hive. Then went to %windir%\system32\config\system.sav I got a prompt and typed test. I then went thru and deleted upperfilters and lowerfilters. ..... I screwed up my system (I think). Now, when i started to finish the repair, it says it needs the asam file and asks for the location..... my system no longer can see the dvd rom, mouse or keyboard. My question is how to get those detected again? Thank you in advance for any and all help.

2. Rockn

Rockn

Never mess with the registry if you do not know what you are doing. You basically turned the current operating system into a boat anchor. You could do a repair installation, but there is no guarantee your files will stay intact.

3. amlost

amlost Thread Starter

so how do I get mb to find periphials? I really dont need a scolding or snide comments, just info to get back to repairing my system or even reinstalling it. Thanks again

4. Rockn

Rockn

The comments were not snide nor were they scolding. Just a warning about dealing with editing the registry. I also gave you advice on how to fix it. You could also try deleting the non functioning devices from device manager, rebooting and let the OS attempt to detect them again.

5. amlost

amlost Thread Starter

Ok, I will clarify the problem, I need to regain use of my dvd rom, keyboard and mouse. PC is in middle of windows xp repair (I have original disk). Repairs is at the point that it wants asam files, is asking for location, I can not input any info without perhipials, How do I get them back?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!