1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost permissions with 'Administrator' user

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by deggs2000, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. deggs2000

deggs2000 Thread Starter

Hi all,

I've searched high and low, but cant find an answer to this particularly annoying problem I have with my XP Home Edition.

I have a user set up since original install and I've had no problems with it until I ran windowsupdate a couple of days ago. When I ran the windowsupdate, I downloaded the latest update installer (v5) as it asked me to and then clicked on 'Custom Install: High Priority and Optional Updates for Your Computer' and I get a message back :

[Error number: 0x800A0046]
    Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:...blah, blah, blah

This happens time and time again, following reboots etc. etc.

I've also noticed that I can no longer view the application or system event log although I can view the security event log. The message I get when trying to view the application or system logs is "Unable to complete the operation on "Application". Access is denied."

Looking on the support.microsoft site, it mentions the error number above (0x800A0046), but seems to intimate this is either a Professional Edition error or they don't have a record of it happening on Home Edition??!!?!

Has anyone seen this before or got any ideas on how to fix it before I blow my top and reinstall?

Cheers
    deggs

2. zmaster

zmaster

well heres what i found from another forum.

One option is to grab the many copies of the sp2 Network install file.

"Make sure this service is turned on "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
    Windows Update need that service on so it can work. I have my set to manual."

you can always try this too. Free CD of SP2

3. deggs2000

deggs2000 Thread Starter

sorry Zmaster, are you saying to install service pack 2? Didn't really want to go down this route...

4. zmaster

zmaster

i thought v5 installed sp2? i must've misunderstood. well what about "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" any luck with that?

5. zmaster

zmaster

hmm heres an interesting webpage
    does anyone know if this would work?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!