lost permissions with 'Administrator' user

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

deggs2000

Hi all,

I've searched high and low, but cant find an answer to this particularly annoying problem I have with my XP Home Edition.

I have a user set up since original install and I've had no problems with it until I ran windowsupdate a couple of days ago. When I ran the windowsupdate, I downloaded the latest update installer (v5) as it asked me to and then clicked on 'Custom Install: High Priority and Optional Updates for Your Computer' and I get a message back :

[Error number: 0x800A0046]
Windows Update has encountered an error and cannot display the requested page. You may find the following resources helpful in resolving the problem:...blah, blah, blah

This happens time and time again, following reboots etc. etc.

I've also noticed that I can no longer view the application or system event log although I can view the security event log. The message I get when trying to view the application or system logs is "Unable to complete the operation on "Application". Access is denied."

Looking on the support.microsoft site, it mentions the error number above (0x800A0046), but seems to intimate this is either a Professional Edition error or they don't have a record of it happening on Home Edition??!!?!

Has anyone seen this before or got any ideas on how to fix it before I blow my top and reinstall?

Cheers
deggs

well heres what i found from another forum.

One option is to grab the many copies of the sp2 Network install file.

"Make sure this service is turned on "Background Intelligent Transfer Service"
Windows Update need that service on so it can work. I have my set to manual."

you can always try this too. Free CD of SP2

deggs2000

sorry Zmaster, are you saying to install service pack 2? Didn't really want to go down this route...

i thought v5 installed sp2? i must've misunderstood. well what about "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" any luck with that?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online