1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost power policies

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Buddy Fey, Jan 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buddy Fey

Buddy Fey Thread Starter

My Toshiba Tecra came with 7 preset power policies, as normally accessed from Control Panel. I've added 2 of my own. When editing one of these to change "close the lid" from hibernate to standby, I got a dialog box with a message that said, approximately "change levels incompatible". After that, only two power policies show, "home office/desk" and "portable/laptop".

I searched the registry for "Toshiba power" to find references to the custom profiles Toshiba loads. I found 12 profiles numbered 0 to 11 under:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\PowerCfg\PowerPolicies

One of these, number 10, appears to be empty or blank. Number 11 is one I defined and deleted after the problem.

I'd like to recover the use of these profiles. I have a registry backup from about a week ago if that helps.

Anyone know what I need to do, or where/how to find out?

I have a registry backup from about a week ago

2. Buddy Fey

Buddy Fey Thread Starter

Looking at it again, I also discovered that policy number 6 is missing altogether. 0 and 1 are the only ones showing. Is there somewhere that it finds the number of policies available, or does it just count them?

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!