lost preferences etc.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ekih

Used winxp repair function, booting from cd.
Before this I used the file and settings transfer function and saved settings to my hard drive.
After doing this everything looked normal. I loaded Mcaffe security suite and rebooted, every thing normal. I reloaded all the winxp updates and installed, all 64, everything went normal. Rebooted everything came up as normal. Didn't need to use file and transfer function to put things back. Everything was as before. I checked browser and email functions, all was ok.
I switched users to set an email account in the other user. Didn't have the info that I needed so shut down the email program. When logging off and going back to the orig user is when I lost all of my settings. I tried using file and transfer function but that was unavailable. My browser, email client, icons on desktop, picture for wallpaper etc. no longer has my preferences.
When booting one splash screen comes up saying:
invalid boot.ini record
booting from c:\windows
I have tried different system restorals, with no luck.
Any help?
thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online