lost recycle.bin folder

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

j6at

The icon to the recycle bin has been deleted from my desktop and the original recycle folder has been renamed $recycle.bin. When I open the $recycle.bin, it says the folder is empty. However, with Sniffer, I can see the deleted files are intact in this folder.

How can I recover the data and put it in a default recycle.bin?

Thanks for any help,

John

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
try this first
click windows button
in search type
desktop icons
above click on show or hide common icons on the desktop
when that opens
in the top half of the window recycle bin is listed - is the box checked
if not check it and click apply and ok
reboot
check the icon is there on the desktop
and check the files removed to the recycle bin are shown

j6at

Thanks for the reply. I had already tried this.
The desktop icon window shows that the recycle.bin icon is checked.
The apply button is greyed out. Clicking either the OK or Restore Defaults + OK buttons do not work.

The problem is the missing folder not the shortcut. When I search the internet for a procedure to restore the folder, I only find information for restoring the desktop shortcut. Is there a way to unhide the $recycle.bin folder?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
1. Where is that folder please
original recycle folder has been renamed $recycle.bin.
go back to the desktop icons and UNCHECK the box for recycle bin - can you now click apply and ok - if so please do that and then proceed as at 2.
2. right click desktop
hold mouse on new and click folder
the new folder will appear on the desktop
named of course new folder
in the name field if you have set it
right click and click rename
if it is not set it will of course be in blue and you can then paste this into the name field

Recycle bin.{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}

now set that name
it should change to recycle bin
If it does check that your files are in there

This is really only a test as that recycle bin will not change icon to show when it contains files

3. This has the makings of either 3rd party software OR you or someone changing registry settings
Is either a possibility please

j6at

Thanks again for your prompt reply.
Great that works! It displays $recycle.bin not recycle.bin
I have recently deleted a number of apps with 3rd party software. That may be the source of the problem. No one has changed registry settings.

No problem that the icon does not register empty or full.
It looks like the bin resides on the c:\ drive.

Again many thanks,
John

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
It looks like the bin resides on the c:\ drive.
Yes it does it is a hidden folder but the actual icon is stored elsewhere
if you go explorer C drive and enable show hidden files and folders and uncheck hide protected operating system files you will see the recycle for each drive on which it is enabled

I suspect that it is the 3rd party software what was it please and what was deleted
I suggest you access another users account and see if the recycle bin is shown on that desktop
If you do not have another users account - enable the guest account

Run a system file check from a cmd prompt with admin rights
type
sfc /scannow

There is a possibility I can fix it for you, but I cannot assure you of the results
If you do not have a restore point before this problem occurred and have tried that if you wish, then if that does not work we can give it a try, but I would not wish to proceed with the possible fix until we have tried all other options

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online