1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost recycle bin items

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by solidwax, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solidwax

solidwax Thread Starter

Hi, I've been backing up data on my computer only to open up recycle bin the other day and find most of the files missing. I was very confused. Then i realised i had recently deleted 2 or 3 large files in size of 2 or more gb and that the recycle bins capacity is 4gb Has recycle bin deleted my older items because there wasn't enough space? I need to find or restore the old files. Im guessing the recycle bin dir in c: has now been modified showing the current status. Can i recover any older recycle bin dir or any files which list the files that were in recycle bin before is was modified and deleted old files? I have tried free undelete programs but they all only show the current recycle bin contents, i need to find the old contents. I also mucked around with some security settings of recycle bin and corrupted it. I had to empty it. Does this mean a new recycle bin file has been made? How can i restore the old contents.

Thankyou.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

Things shouldn't go in the trash unless you want to get rid of them. Chances are that the files have been partially or totally overwritten and unrecoverable. Any chance at recovery was lost when you kept using the machine. When files are lost, you should shut down immediately so they won't get overwritten and then move the drive to another machine for recovery.

If the recovery apps can't find anything, they are probably gone for good.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!