1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Recycle bin, not just the icon!!

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by honeysmiles, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. honeysmiles

honeysmiles Thread Starter

Im using Toshiba Satellite laptop with vista home premium,

After encountering a low virus I deleted the .exe file the virus installed and some other files, however; I didn't delete anything in my registry so i'm not sure when this occured. I notice my recycle bin icon missing so I right clicked my desktop and restored the icon, but now when I lick on it, the computer window where the original recycle bin icon is..opens up each time I click on the recycle bin icon. Am I missing a drive? Should I use my system recovery disk I made when I first purchased the laptop?

I really would like to use the recycle bin the way it was originally.

I appreciate any help/suggestions that will restore my precious recycle bin. Funny how we don't appreciate things, until there gone!

2. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

I'm guessing you have tried the following?

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/window-on-windows/?p=541

If no luck,

1. Click Start, and then click My Computer.
    2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    3. Click the View tab, and then click to clear the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box.
    4. Click Yes when you receive the warning message, and then click OK to close the Folder Options dialog box.
    5. Click Folders on the toolbar.

Note If Folders is not visible on the toolbar, point to Toolbars on the View menu, and then click Standard Buttons.
    6. In the left navigation pane, under Folders, locate the Recycle Bin folder, and then drag the Recycle Bin folder to the desktop.
    7. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.
    8. Click the View tab, and then click to select the Hide protected operating system files (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

3. honeysmiles

honeysmiles Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your help. I had already fixed it and didn't know it! DUHHH I fell like a clutch!

4. Phantom010

Phantom010 Trusted Advisor

Glad you got it fixed! :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/896107

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice