1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost "Run" Option On Windows XP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by scallywag, Dec 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Hi There,
    I Am Trying To Set Up Wireless Networking From My Desktop Computer To My Laptop So That I Can Use The Laptop In Other Rooms But Connect To The Internet (Broadband) Through My Desktop.

I Have Managed To Configure My Desktop Computer With Help From The Belkin Helpline But To Enable My Laptop I Need To Access The "Run" Facility From My Start Menu, Which Is Missing?

I Am Informed That I Need To Log In As Administrator To Do This, But I Cannot Switch Screen Names To Administrator As That User Name Is Not There?

Can Anyone Enlighten Me As To How I Get The "Run" Option Back?

I Am Running Windows XP On Both Computers

Thanks.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

On the Welcome screen type ctrl+alt+del twice. Then you can logon as the administrator.

3. MustBNuts

MustBNuts

If this is a home machine, do you know if you are currently an administrator? I ask because it might be possible that it was merely removed from your start menu options.

Right click on an empty area of your taskbar, click Properties, click on the Start Menu tab and choose Customize button. Then go to the advanced tab. Here you can check and uncheck options you want to see on the Start menu....Run is one of them.

Good luck.

4. scallywag

scallywag Thread Starter

Thanks, Thats Sorted It!....Not Sure About The Administrator Thing But I Am Currently Up To 5 Coffees An Hour Trying To Sort Out Networking.

And People Do This For A Living?

Thanks For Your Help!!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/184945

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice