1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost SATA RAID Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by photoguy, Feb 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. photoguy

photoguy Thread Starter

I have an AOpen AX4SPE Max MB, MS XP Pro operating system and two Western Digital WD Raptor SATA drives connected in a RAID configuration. The interleaved one, not the mirror configuration. This has worked well for a couple of years. I recently bought a new digital camera and a 1G Compact Flash card. I left the CF card in the card reader and rebooted the machine. When it came up, I got the message that the boot assignments had been changed and I can no longer find my hard drives.

To get the machine back into use I installed a new WD 160G IDE drive and reinstalled XP Pro. This operates but I still can't find the two SATA drives. During boot the BIOS displays a message to press control-S to enter the RAID configuration software but it does not respond to the control-S input.

Any suggestions? I would like to try things that wouldn't affect the files on the SATA drives, as a first strategy.

Thanks for any help

Photoguy

2. winbob

winbob

Well, I can tell you what happened in case you haven't figured that out yet.

The CF card was recognized as a Drive by the system and when you rebooted it got assigned a drive letter before the RAID array drives.

Why they did not pick up the next consecutively available drive letters...I don't know.

Having removed the CF card, I would have expected a reboot to untangle the ill "Waved Skivvies" (sorry I couldn't resist that opportunity Skivvywaver :p )

Not being a RAID guy myself, I am not really schooled in configuring the RAID BIOS, but I think THAT is where any hope of salvation lies.

Once you get your Drives back I would ASSIGN them drive letters (see Help "drive letters") that are well above the used area, just like you would an Optical drive in a system that you added/removed HD's from frequently.

That's about all I can suggest. :(

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325943

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice