1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

lost screen resolution with Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by at_random, Jan 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I upgraded from XP to Vista (Business version), and my widescreen laptop no longer has the high resolutions it used to have. The highest it will now go is 1024 x 768 (it used to be much higher). Not only is everything way too big, but it's blurry as well. How do I get those high resolutions back??

2. bigk

bigk

Have you tried downloading the latest drivers and updates?

Bigk :)

3. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

What drivers do I need for this? Video card drivers? I should mention my pc is still brand new, only about 2 months old. 2 GHz Duo 2 Toshiba Satellite.

4. J-K

J-K

I had exactly the same problem - and being an 'early adopter', there's not much support out there! :(

I have a HP Pavilion DV2058EA laptop, with a NVIDIA GeForce Go 7200 graphics card [128MB RAM].

After installing Vista, I noticed my resolution dropped to the same as yours, and deleted the option to increase the resolution!

I called Microsft, and after some trouble-shooting, they said it was because I didn't have a "WDDM Driver" for the graphics card. They asked me to call HP.

I called HP, and they said they weren't releasing their WDDM driver for another 2 weeks yet! Great! And that's if I take their word for it!

I would check if Toshiba have released a WDDM driver, or if the manufacturer of your graphics card has one... In my case, neither HP or NVIDIA had one... :(

Besides that, there's not much else I can offer! I am in exactly the same boat as you, so if someone finds a solution, PLEASE let me know too! I can not work for 2 weeks with this poncy resolution, and will go insane if I have to!!!

Thanks,
    JK

5. techy689

techy689

I have a dv9000t... with an nVidia GeForce go 7600.... and I got my driver...

I used the Windows Update built into Vista to search for updates. Once it completed it said I had four additional updates. So I downloaded/installed them all and one turned out to be the graphics driver..

If that didn't work for you download the driver from the manufacturer website

6. J-K

J-K

Perfect, that worked! Windows installed the NVIDIA driver itself, and back to a normal resolution! PHEW! I still can't use any of the cool Aero stuff, but atleast I have my resolution back!

Hopefully, the new HP driver in 2 weeks will give me access to Aero stuff! Fingers crossed!

7. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I did the Windows Update too, but that didn't fix my resolution or find any new drivers. I actually spent time on the phone with Toshiba last night (my laptop manufacturer), and they said there are no drivers yet for Vista for the GeForce Go 7900. They also told me that laptops aren't even capable of running Aero, due to severe resource drain. I think this is an utter lie, as long as you have a high end laptop (like I do) I'm sure it'll work. I just hope the video card drivers are available very soon...

8. J-K

J-K

That's complete bull$hit at_random!

As mentioned, I have a HP laptop with an NVIDIA video card too. If the Windows Update didn't re-install the driver, try getting it directly from NVIDIA's website, and re-install it manually. This will fix the resolution problem.

THEN - be sure to change the theme from Windows Vista Classic to Windows Aero. And voila - full aero functionality [I think?!?!?!] without a WDDM driver!! Unless WDDM was including in my driver, but I doubt it! I am 100% happy now! Just re-install the original driver from NVIDIA, and i'm confident it'll work!

9. at_random

at_random Thread Starter

I've already tried downloading a whole bunch of different drivers from NVidia, all of which are in the same general number range as the 7900. There isn't one that is specifically for 7900, but there's 7800, 7700, etc. I tried installing them, and I always get the same error message, something like "No drivers on your system are compatible with this update." Then sometimes after that happens, I also get the option to "try and install using the proper drivers," so I try doing that, and then I get the message "It has been determined you are not using Windows Vista. This driver is only compatible with Windows Vista. Setup will now exit." So it tells me I don't even have Vista! Maybe it's because I got the downloadable version instead of a hard copy?? (Also I did an upgrade not a clean install.)

So these are all possible culprits here...I'm getting upset with Vista in general anyway, since there's compatibility issues all over the place. A big one is that you can't play songs purchased from iTunes on Vista (m4p files). That's a REALLY big problem for me. Apple's message boards are getting flooded with this problem as we speak :) There's a lot of other stuff that isn't working right, which I expected, but it's still annoying.

10. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Possible solution released by Apple yesterday (Feb 1).

iTunes Repair Tool for Vista 1.0

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/itunesrepairtoolforvista10.html

11. odles

odles

I'm still having this problem exactly. I'm using an nVidia 7900... did anyone find a solution for this?

12. odles

odles

In hopes of trying to get a resolution for this problem (sorry for the pun), I'll try to give some help. I'm having the exact problem described by the person I quoted in my above post. This isn't the first time I've seen this happen to my computer. I figured it was a weird bug, and had been able to fix this in the past by opening a full-screen game, restarting, hibernating, or whatnot. But this time it appears to be 'stuck'.

If anyone is able to help with this, or even point me in the direction of a website that may be able to help, that would be great.

Thanks,
    Drew

edit: except I don't have a downloaded version of Vista, I have a hard copy.

13. Srikanth123

Srikanth123

sry to interrupt, however i'm also have problems with the screen resolution after installing vista.....my graphics card is IntelĀ® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller.

Can anyone send me a link as to where i can download a driver for my graphics card in order to run vista properly....thx

14. rocker_820

rocker_820

are u sure that u have nvidia GEforce 7700.make sure u have it or try
    On the desktop background right click and got to
    Control Panel-Personalization-Display Settings-Advanced Settings-Adapter and plz post everything u get there (like chip type,name, computer video memory,shared video memory and all other stuff):)

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/539848

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice