1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost Secondary IDE Controller

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rvshirley, Jan 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rvshirley

rvshirley Thread Starter

We have an HP Pavilion ZD8105 Laptop that we purchased last May.
    It has Windows XP HOME edition with MultiMedia.

It worked very well until just around Christmas time.

I went to do a backup of my data onto a CD and the CD/DVD-RW drive was not there.

I checked in Windows Explorer and there is no D: drive listed.

I checked in Device Manager and it shows an Exclamation point beside the drive with the following message in properties:

"Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device."

I then tried to download new drivers (SP30367), and they would not install because it "could not find device".

I then had someone tell me to check the controller and sure enough - the SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER is NOT THERE! Since that is the controller for the DVD drive, of course the DVD drive has a problem. I assume that one of the Windows Updates that came through in December did not recognize the secondary controller, but I am only guessing)

Does anyone know how I can get the SECONDARY IDE CONTROLLER to start up again? Is it a loose wire inside the laptop? Or a software problem?

(I know it is under warranty, but we are snowbirds and will not be back home till April. And I do NOT want to send it in and be without a laptop for 2 months.)

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

3. rvshirley

rvshirley Thread Starter

No, I have not changed the registry. I looked at this solution, but I had not uninstalled any programs, and I thought this had to do with the IDE controller and was not really a CDROM problem. And someone here advised me that it would not fix the problem with the controller. Do you think it would fix the controller problem? If you do, I will go ahead and try this.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I have not seen a similar issue with the actual secondary ide controller being reported missing in the device manager -- only with the reported "code 39" error. I don't think it will do any harm to try the fixes -- before doing so you can select File > Export and "save" the keys as .reg files. These can be re merged if you like if there is no help. You can also set a System Restore checkpoint before proceeding.

Other things I would try are:

open the Add New Hardware Wizard in the Control Panel. Select the option for hardware already connected and see if the secondary ide is on the list.

If Windows can't find it, you might try setting a System Restore checkpoint (start > run: msconfig > launch system restore ....

... and then remove the Parent controller (this will be listed just above the Primary and Secondary Ide positions) from the Device Manager and reboot -- and see if both IDEs get redetected.

If the secondary still fails -- I think you have a problem with the controller on the motherboard.

5. rvshirley

rvshirley Thread Starter

I checked in Add Hardware, and only the PRIMARY IDE CONTROLLER is listed.

Unfortunately, I cannot do a system restore or set a restore point because it says the "drivers are corrupt". That was one of the first things I tried, but forgot to mention it in my list.

Do you think it is still safe enough to go in and remove the IDEs and reboot?

6. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I don't understand that message in relation to System Restore? Have you tried to set a manual check point and restore to it? I'd like to see the exact error message you get when attempting to do so. System Restore in XP in no way involves the CD or DVD ROM drives to complete the operation.

I hate to guarantee no problems when there appear to be so many unknowns. Typically removing a Device Manager entry like that simply forces Windows to redetect it and install the original default drivers.

7. rvshirley

rvshirley Thread Starter

RE: System restore: If I try to go back to December I get this now.

Your computer cannot be restored to:
    December 4, 2005
    No changes have been made to your computer.

I can however set a point today and it will restore to that one.

I did set a point, and then uninstalled the parent controller as you suggested. Unfortunately, it only came back with the Primary IDE controller. Still no secondary. Guess I am stuck with having no CD/DVD till I get back home and can take it back where I bought it.

Thanks for you input. If you can think of anything else to do, I would be glad to try anything.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Well it does sound like bad hardware and there is nothing software wise that can be done.

If you continue to have problems with the System Restore archive not wanting to restore anything more than the last checkpoint -- turn it off, reboot and turn it back on again. This will purge the entire cache and free up space on the drive for new restore points.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Have you tried other older restore points? Or just that one?

10. rvshirley

rvshirley Thread Starter

I have tried almost every restore date in December, since my problem started in late December. It would not restore to any of them.

I will try the suggestion by Rollin' Rog and delete all old points and start anew. I will test it in a few days.

Shirley.
    :eek:

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Well, that will do nothing for your IDE controller problem. That will just fix the restore point trouble.

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/437250

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice