1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost sent messages in Outlook Express

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Shamrock, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

All of my messages that were in my sent folder(except for today's messages) are gone. Last night I was sorting thru my messages and checking some links to websites... when the x10 camera popup came on and froze my computer. I restarted the computer and only stayed on a few mins after that.
    This morning when I logged on I saw that there were only a couple of new(from today) messages in my sent box.
    When I go to Windows, Application Data, Identities, Microsoft, Outlook Express there are two sent folders listed .dbx One is the old one with many letters and one small one. The small (new) one says sent items [1] .dbx
    How can I get all my old messages back?

2. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hi Shamrock. You could try restoring your registry back to a date before the problem occured. Or possible try deleting the new small Sent Items.dbx file and hopefully OE will use the older one. If you want to try to restore your registry, let me know what os system you have and I'll give you instructions on how to do it if you aren't sure. I can't think of anything else to try, but maybe someone else will come along and offer suggestions as well.
    Good luck! :) sharon

3. jbcalg

jbcalg

a couple of ways, depends if oyu wan tthe 'new' ones saved or not - will assume you do, can always move things aorund the folders once you're in OE

basically, there must be a folder and a corresponding .dbx file with the same name, ie once there is a 'sent' folder in OE, the contents of whatever file you name sent.dbx will show up there.
    caution: rename the file to something else, so you can go back and undo if you need to.

create a folder in OE called restore
    close OE

go to Windows, Application Data, Identities, Microsoft, Outlook Express etc etc where your .dbx files are

should be a restore.dbx file, quite small
    rename (highlight, f2) it to restoreold.dbx
    rename sent items [1] .dbx to restore.dbx

open OE, your old sent items should now be listed in restore folder

go back and delete restoreold.dbx when you get a chance, just to be tidy

4. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Sharon D It didn't work deleting the small .dbx file. Whenever I clicked on the sent folder in Outlook Express it just made a new small file. Does the [1] mean anything? I see several of my other .dbx files has a [1] also but all the messages seem to be ok in them... just wondering.

jbcalg
    Which file?

5. Sharon D

Sharon D

Do you want to try Restoring the registry to a date before the freeze\weird OE problem occured? I'm not exactly sure what the [1] represents. I think someone more enlightened on .dbx files could probably explain what it means.

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

sorry, just reread you're first message, think i mixed some things up
    - please bear with me

i meant rename the .dbx file you're going to replace, once you have created a new folder in OE.

you said:
    When I go to Windows, Application Data, Identities, Microsoft, Outlook Express there are two sent folders listed .dbx One is the old one with many letters and one small one. The small (new) one says sent items [1] .dbx
    How can I get all my old messages back?

try this instead - you have 2 files:

1. sent items.dbx - a large file, where you think your old emails are - right?

2. sent items [1].dbx - a small file with the new emails - right?

what folder names do you have in OE?
    just sent items - right?

if so:
    open OE
    create a new folder - sent old
    close OE

open c:\windows, etc etc where the .dbx files are stored
    a new file called sent old.dbx is now there

rename sent old.dbx to sent oldtemp.dbx
    rename sent items.dbx (the large one) to sent old.dbx
    close windows explorer

open OE
    the sent old folder should now have all your previous sent emails
    you can highlight the top email, hold shift and press page down to highlight them all, then drag them to your (small, new) sent items folder
    - or just leave them there

i'll be around for a while, so let me know how it's going, otherwise it'll be sometime tomorrow

7. jbcalg

jbcalg

i think it represents a second file,
    and shamrock's problem is that the original 'sent items' file got bumped by the newly created one

so there's sent items.dbx and also sent items [1].dbx

creating a new folder in OE will create a new .dbx file
    - then just have to rename the large file (sent item.dbx) to correspond with the new folder name

but it shouldn't have 2 .dbx files like that, never heard of it, but it's fairly simple to swap them around

8. Sharon D

Sharon D

Kinda of a weird problem, isn't it? I've never heard of it either.

9. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

That seemed to work jb ...I got back all my messages it looks like .... now in windows, application, etc.... I have listed: sent oldtemp.dbx , sent old.dbx , and sent items[1].dbx.
    It seems like everytime I open my sent folder... it makes a new sent items[1] .dbx file

Now what do I delete of all those file names? And why does the sent items[1].dbx file keep coming back?

10. jbcalg

jbcalg

glad it worked

next step - do regular backups!!

i usually zip the entire directory folder after deleting the ones i don't want, and compacting OE.

what to get rid of?

d*amned if i know, i'm so confused now :)

first - where are all your sent item emails, did you combine the old and new into one?
    - if so that's the one you want to keep, the rest are just extras.
    - and i think OE is using sent items [1].dbx for your sent items folder, instead of sent items.dbx

i think you can safely get rid of
    sent old.dbx (if you combined your sent items into one folder in OE)
    sent oldtemp.dbx (this was just a file rename after creating the folder, and was empty space)

you use the recycle bin in windows don't you, so we can restore any files???

there is no sent items.dbx anymore right?, you changed that to sent old.dbx ?

i'm inclined to suggest backing up the entire folder, then reinstalling OE but as long as your sent emails are being stored in the OE folder, who cares what the file name is?

why not back up the Windows, Application Data, Identities, Microsoft, Outlook Express directory,
    then just use OE and see if it works all right?

11. Shamrock

Shamrock Thread Starter

Yes, I use the recycle bin.
    I now have all the sent messages in my sent box in Outlook Express.
    In Windows...application data... etc. the big file seems to be the Sent Items[1] file and the sent oldtemp.dbx and the sent old.dbx are small files. So, it seems like I can try deleting the 2 small ones and looks like (for whatever reason) my sent file is going to stay renamed sent items[1]

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58196

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice