1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost "Show Desktop" Icon/Can't Recreate

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by irainbow, Mar 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Hi -- I'm running Windows XP/2nd SP with IE Explorer 6 (updated to 2nd SP). Somehow, my "show desktop" shortcut got corrupted and wouldn't work, and I now have a two-fold problem.

First, I can't figure out how to recreate it (it's also not in my START line-up). I tried to follow directions in Microsoft Article ID: 190355, and created the text file okay, but when I went to save it as: WINDOWS\System32\Config\Systemprofile\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch couldn't find that within System Profile (where the article told me to save it), couldn't find or get past the portion highlighted in red above.

Second, when i tried to drag the icon I had successfully created onto the taskbar, it became a cyan colored word on the cobalt blue background of the Taskbar, and I can't get rid of it/nor does it seem to serve any function.

How can I resolve these issues, please.

TIA for your help, :)

Iris

2. draceplace

draceplace

This might work for you....If you right click on the task bar a menu pops up and show desktop is one of the options.

3. putasolution

putasolution

4. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Ding-Dong! Give putasolution a prize!!! (I hadn't even finished editing my post, and the solution to part 1 was already there!)

Thanks putasolution!

5. irainbow

irainbow Thread Starter

Thanks, draceplace, this solution helped in the short term to access the desktop, thought didn't replace the icon.

Your help is appreciated! :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!