1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Lost signal to monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zed8, Apr 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zed8

zed8 Thread Starter

I have a packard Bell desktop running Vista 32 bit and geforce 5200 video card and have had it about 9 months. Last week the monitor went black and said it was going to sleep. I found that nothing had changed with the computer but I had just lost the video signal. If I tried to reboot right away I would not get a signal but if I waited a minimum of 10 minutes I could get it to come on to maybe the login page before it blinked out again.

It's still on warranty thankfully so the stores guy comes out, replaces the video card--no change, replaces mobo--no change, takes video card out completely so it's using the onboard one and it stays on. Hmmm maybe the old video card and the new one he brought are both faulty?? The store says they'll send another guy out with another card and put that in--great

It's been working fine now for three days but today monitor goes black. The tech is coming tomorrow with a new video card and I have a feeling that's not going to solve the problem. I'm not any one particular program when this happens. What the heck else could it be? Anybody?

Thanks in advance.

2. oksteve

oksteve

Can we assume the monitor is ok ?

3. zed8

zed8 Thread Starter

That may turn out to have been an excellent question. Just for fun I hooked up an old monitor to the machine and what do you know...It works. I'll leave it on for a while and hopefully it holds then it will be another round of navigating the phone help system for another manufacturer

4. oksteve

oksteve

Sometimes its the most obvious things we don't see:)
    btw your monitor may be ok too, just needs new drivers perhaps.

5. zed8

zed8 Thread Starter

Another good guess, at least it seems that way at this point. Dl'd a driver that came out 5 weeks ago and hooked up the monitor and it works. Could have saved a lot of grief if I checked that before but you just expect it must be the computer...
    Thanks for the help. Haven't had to use this site in a few years but it always comes through.

Dale

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916855

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice